Options

Advice needed for Delivery Engineer

lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello!

I work as a Delivery Engineer at a Product based Marketing Automation firm. I work on Linux everyday, and PowerMTA servers to ensure the inboxing and delivery of promotional emails for my clients.

I am around 6 months in the job and want to look for new paths forward. I know I will be good in Linux commandline and shell scripting alongwith DNS and networking concepts when I am finished with this project. I have a N+ certificate.

What could be good career ways going forward?

Any suggestions are appreciated,

-- Lloris

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long do you plan on staying? 1 - 2 years?

I would recommend getting at least 1 years of experience and then look for automation engineer positions. Most of these will have a Linux component to them. You could also look at DevOps positions as well since you have a strong scripting background.

Might want to review Amazon web services and see if something in that space interest you.
  • Options
    I plan on staying for a year atleast.

Thanks for the info, the choice of automation engineer I never explored. With AWS, my problem is that I am not working in sys admin position so I dont have the experience for cloud computing background. I just control the transition of emails from one server to another.

DevOps positions require developer coding? I am not so good in coding, but shell scripting I can do.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lloris_20 wrote: »
    I plan on staying for a year atleast.

Thanks for the info, the choice of automation engineer I never explored. With AWS, my problem is that I am not working in sys admin position so I dont have the experience for cloud computing background. I just control the transition of emails from one server to another.

DevOps positions require developer coding? I am not so good in coding, but shell scripting I can do.

Not sure what country you are in, but maybe Linux + could help brand yourself.

Either way, I would most certainly look into an automation engineer position. Some of these positions have a major shell scripting component. From what little I know about you, you would be a great fit. ***Keep in mind that not all Automation Engineer positions are equal. I ran into a few that were really out there, then finally found a few that talked about productions systems on a linux stack and scripting.
  • Options
    Hello,

Linux + I am not pursuing, just learning commandline and bash scripting. The cert has not much value in my country.

Automation I can look at. I basically script right now just to make my work life easy and not for any admin purpose.

Any other skills required for automation role besides scripting? I read a few automation profiles and couldnt make much sense of them as it looks like they need you to know every language for it.

-- Lloris