Options

Public Trust Clearance

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am a bit confused and have been trying to figure it out. Is a public trust a security clearance? I know it's not Top Secret but it's better than nothing right?

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes... its the lowest clearance they have... the next level from that is Secret, then Top secret.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't get one on your own though. A company has to sponsor you for a clearance. Also you have to find a job, normally a govt contractor to sponsor you. Getting one is not hard... you just have to have a clean background and you finances in order. Once you have that together, getting one is a breeze
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Public Trust isn't exactly a "clearance". It follows many of the same guidelines and investigations, but is targeted differently. PT is used to determine suitability for a position, whereas a clearance is a level of information for which you are cleared to have access, should you have a need to know.

For example, if you have a Secret clearance, you can be permitted access to documents classified as Secret or Confidential, if there is a need to know. However, you cannot have access to documents classified as Top Secret.

Using the same example, the position is a Public Trust Position. After the investigation, you are either qualified to hold a Public Trust Position, or you are not.

The PT is about the risk and sensitivity of the position, and the data is only tangential to that fact. Clearances are all about the data.
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Yes... its the lowest clearance they have... the next level from that is Secret, then Top secret.

That would be "Confidential". Easiest way to remember them:

US Can Stop Terrorism

Unclassified
    Sensitive But Unclassified
    Confidential
    Secret
    Top Secret

Top Secret can be subdivided into SCI, SSBI, various Polys, Code Word, etc. But the ones above are the official classification.

Until you get into non-DoD stuff. Then things like Q come into play.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    A public trust clearance is usually used for non defense related positions within the government, and is not considered a security clearance for the purposes of accessing classified information. The purpose of a public trust clearance is to determine suitability for a position that requires access to agency sensitive information (i.e. PII, financials, etc...).
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Moderate Risk Public Trust, or MRPT, is what the Department of State uses for foreign national employees or contractors to determine if they can work on DoS projects. In some cases when access to classified information is not required, the MRPT is used to also vet American employees as well.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Public trust is a pretty common requirement for civilian agencies such as Department of Agriculture and NASA where they handle a lot of sensitive but unclassified information. It's not a security clearance, but it is better than nothing. It could still take a long time to get a public trust, but you can usually work at the facility while your investigation is ongoing. You normally can't start working with the DOD until you get an interim security clearance at the minimum.
  • Options
    Is it a gateway to other clearances or help you get others faster when the time comes?
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It probably doesn't hurt or hinder, but as far as I know it's not a natural progression to getting security clearances. What they look for in a person's background for a security clearance aren't the same items in a public trust, though if one cannot get a public trust they most likely won't be able to get a clearance.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    Is it a gateway to other clearances or help you get others faster when the time comes?
    No. It means you are equal to a postal carrier as far as clearance goes.
  • Options
    devilbones wrote: »
    No. It means you are equal to a postal carrier as far as clearance goes.

icon_rolleyes.gif oh...
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    icon_rolleyes.gif oh...
    I wasnt saying it in a bad way, the Postal Carriers bring your tax refunds and W2s. Its just a different type of clearance than having access to classified material.