OSCP Prep - Virtual Hacking Lab

Hi;
Has anyone taken a look at this

https://www.virtualhackinglabs.com/

Seems like it covers most of the OSCP material with 30 labs.

I think with

Penetration Testing by Georgia Weidman and codeacadamy python course is perfect

Comments

• katawiakatawia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    asurania wrote: »
    Hi;
    Has anyone taken a look at this

https://www.virtualhackinglabs.com/

Seems like it covers most of the OSCP material with 30 labs.

I think with

Penetration Testing by Georgia Weidman and codeacadamy python course is perfect

Not taken it yet...but after reading the course chapters and section listings, it looks appealing to give it a go.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    anyone has any real reviews about it...?
    I signing up end of September after my holidays
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's pretty new. It's also fairly inexpensive so hoping there will be more reviews over the next few months.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I may have a review soon. I'm getting my job to pay for it.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    sweet....i am signing up 3 week of sept...when i get back from holidays ...can't wait to get started.
  • hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can anyone share insights regarding this course and labs? Is it this worth any money?

I am interested especially if this can be a prep course for OSCP.
  • monkykapmonkykap Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've seen this too. Can't find any reviews on it as it is so new, but looks like a good and affordable playground that "should" differ from pwk and vulnhub. I'm holding out for a promotion or a review from someone in the community.
  • HornswogglerHornswoggler Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Subscribed for reviews! For $100 I might try a month just for fun.
    2018: Linux+, eWPT/GWAPT
    Around month ago I bought one month access in the mind to get some prep to OSCP.

At this moment I can write a half way review as I am about 44% of rooted boxes, and bought access to next month to finish the rest.

So far all beginners done, and few advanced. Some machines were very easy to root, and my last few I have done was mostly different types of LFI/RFI and after you got limited shell privilege escalation. I did that for over one month without any rush just time to time on evenings as my time allow for that.

The course PDF is well prepared, teaches you basics of Web and OS hacking and so far all techniques described in that PDF was found in the lab. But of course it just scratches the surface and you must dig a lot on google...

Lab by it self is a network that you connect trough VPN. There are many different types of OSes (Linux, Windows, PBX and even Android). Lab is not crowded. Usually when I login (from EU) I am alone or with one additional person. You can judged this by end of your tap0 interface IP last octet number. There are 3 different networks with same boxes. Connection to the lab from my house is perfect. No lags even time consuming nmap scans do not take ages to complete.

Important it's a good habit to reset box before you start, and after you finish, as you share network with others. Also look on reset panel if someone recently do not reset box as it might indicate that someone is working on it. I usually take another box to not screw up someones work :)

In my opinion is it worth to try. I think it will help me going trough the OSCP lab which I start at the end of December this year.

If you got some additional questions please let me know.
  • HornswogglerHornswoggler Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks hal! Good to know.
    2018: Linux+, eWPT/GWAPT
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I also just finished a month, and while I can't compare it fully to OSCP yet, I can say it is a good prep and $100 on it is worth what you potentially save in OSCP lab time.

the good:

-Material is well written, very beginner friendly, awesome step-by-steps on a few things.
    -Nice variety of boxes. Easy access. They even provide a VM kali image to work from with VPN installed
    -slick interface for resetting boxes.

The less good:

-Material is awesome at the intro to things, but leaves you hanging. IIRC nothing on BoF, fuzzing, etc. Decent, just not great.
    -no videos, although IMO I rather no videos than poorly made ones
    -No forums to reach out to. Simple thing to help people. They give you hints on boxes, but they are so obvious they don't seem necessary.

Overall, I think its very much worth the $100 for a month, you can get through the material fast and start plowing through boxes. Based on the cost of OSCP I think it makes perfect sense, especially for a beginner to things like Metasploit, Burp, etc. Maybe even a good 'is OSCP for me?' course for a lot less.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hal9k2 wrote: »
    Around month ago I bought one month access in the mind to get some prep to OSCP.

At this moment I can write a half way review as I am about 44% of rooted boxes, and bought access to next month to finish the rest.

So far all beginners done, and few advanced. Some machines were very easy to root, and my last few I have done was mostly different types of LFI/RFI and after you got limited shell privilege escalation. I did that for over one month without any rush just time to time on evenings as my time allow for that.

The course PDF is well prepared, teaches you basics of Web and OS hacking and so far all techniques described in that PDF was found in the lab. But of course it just scratches the surface and you must dig a lot on google...

Lab by it self is a network that you connect trough VPN. There are many different types of OSes (Linux, Windows, PBX and even Android). Lab is not crowded. Usually when I login (from EU) I am alone or with one additional person. You can judged this by end of your tap0 interface IP last octet number. There are 3 different networks with same boxes. Connection to the lab from my house is perfect. No lags even time consuming nmap scans do not take ages to complete.

Important it's a good habit to reset box before you start, and after you finish, as you share network with others. Also look on reset panel if someone recently do not reset box as it might indicate that someone is working on it. I usually take another box to not screw up someones work :)

In my opinion is it worth to try. I think it will help me going trough the OSCP lab which I start at the end of December this year.

If you got some additional questions please let me know.

Bumpity bump.

hal9k2, have you started on PWK yet? Wondering how useful this material ended up being for the OSCP journey.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Bumpity bump.

hal9k2, have you started on PWK yet? Wondering how useful this material ended up being for the OSCP journey.

Yes I have started OSCP. So far I am in the mid of my lab access time 28 days left and 24 boxes down... Regarding VHL material and especially time spent in the VHL labs. Yes it was very useful and I would definitely recommend that.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am thinking to try this site

Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.