Who passed the CASP?!?!?!

LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
This guy passed!!!

If you want to stand a chance, you better understand federation, SOAP, SAML,SPML, etc. My test was heavy on federation questions, security protocols, and SSO related architecture. Lots of drag and drop PBQs and a few regarding where to place what in the network according to business requirements and ACL stuff. Use the process of elimination on everything!!!

Studied for 2 weeks at about 6 hrs a day.

I used:
Pearson Cert Guide and practice tests
GCGA premium website questions
Skillport
FedVTE
Computer Security Handbook
CASP PocketPrep on my phone

Also, I am almost finished with Norwich's BS in Cyber Security (3 classes left). A lot of those classes prepared me for this test which drastically cut down on the study time and help me be in the right mindset to understand the question's perspective.

I had about 55 min left when I finished and almost went through to review, but chose not to. Second guessing is usually my downfall. This test is not impossible, I do not have applicable experience in the field, only educational but I needed this cert to leverage myself for a job that has a pretty rigorous entrance selection process. This will definitely set me above my peers. Study hard, draw out relational diagrams to get the big picture (don't just look at it in the book) and good things will happen on test day.

Also, like other CompTIA certs, skip the PBQ for last unless you are 100% sure you can knock them out immediately.

Good luck to all you future test takers!

Comments

• ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. It was a pretty big accomplishment for me. I am moving on to Linux + in a month. I buy my vouchers and then set the exam date. No cancelling allowed, forces me to focus and get at it.
  • PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! Not an easy exam by far. Good luck with your L+!
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Yeah setting the exam date is a good way to set focus. I should probably try that on the next cert.
  • ChocolatedolChocolatedol Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the info.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • crking3crking3 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey man congrats! 

So how much much did you focus on memorizing certain things vs just getting ftheough the entirety of the material? Could you provide more info on specifically how you studied? 

Thanks!
  • dblink07dblink07 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    WELL DONE!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
    crking3 said:
    Hey man congrats! 

So how much much did you focus on memorizing certain things vs just getting ftheough the entirety of the material? Could you provide more info on specifically how you studied? 

Thanks!
    I first went through the questions and check on learning in the Cert Guide and Pock Prep. I marked the topics I did not get correct and expanded my knowledge in those areas. Going through the study material, you can kind of tell if you need a conceptual understanding or a technical understanding of the material. If I felt I understood enough of the conceptual material (to include relevant terms), I moved on. Other material, you can tell right away you need to memorize like the various formulas relating to DR.

In the end, I would say I spent 30% of my time memorizing information using flashcards and diagrams, the rest of the time was spent watching videos, doing practice questions and reading the material.
  • crking3crking3 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Soap and web application stuff is tough for me and I don’t see much sorting through this in the sybex guide or the Pearson guide ...does anyone have any advice ??? How heavy is the exam in Json, REST, soap, Ajax, etc ???

• XepherXepher Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'll be taking my CASP at the end of the month.
    V/R

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many hours did you study for?
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thomas_ said:
    How many hours did you study for?
    LSagee said:

Studied for 2 weeks at about 6 hrs a day.

I used:
    Pearson Cert Guide and practice tests
    GCGA premium website questions
    Skillport
    FedVTE
    Computer Security Handbook
    CASP PocketPrep on my phone

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I won't be taking this mgmt cert, as I want to keep my technical skills
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • XepherXepher Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shochan said:
    CASP is more of a technical certification. 
    V/R

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shochan said:
    I believe you have the CASP confused with the CISSP as the CASP is the WAAAAYYYY more technical cert of the two. I studied for almost 3 months before taking and passing the exam, It was by far the second hardest exam I have ever taken in my career.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    edited September 2019
    McxRisley said:
    shochan said:
    I believe you have the CASP confused with the CISSP as the CASP is the WAAAAYYYY more technical cert of the two. I studied for almost 3 months before taking and passing the exam, It was by far the second hardest exam I have ever taken in my career.
    McxRisley is absolutely correct. CASP is a lot more technical than CISSP. It has been stated ad nauseam around the web that CASP is an inch wide and a mile deep whereas CISSP is an inch deep and a mile wide. I agree with this to a point. 

I personally rank CASP as harder than CISSP but that may only be because I did CASP before CISSP. I barely studied for CISSP. This is in contrast to CASP which if you include all of the college study, Sec+ study, and dedicated CASP study, amounts to countless hours. Although I went through both tests questioning if I would pass after the 10th or so question, CASP was the one that made me want to go cry in the shower afterward, feeling mentally violated.

CASP is technical with management, CISSP is management with technical.

Also, shochan I can't say I agree with your reasoning not to get this cert. Granted it is not like taking the OSCP but it is not like you would be losing anything by branching out. Management skills and knowledge touches literally everything and everyone from a CISO to a pentester to a help desk associate. I am not saying you should or shouldn't get this cert but you would be wise to have some basic security-related management skills and knowledge beyond the immediate 3 feet around you.