Options

To stay or to go?

Lil'SuzieLil'Suzie Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, hoping people with experience may be able to give me some advice...

I have an apprenticeship as an IT technician now that I really like, the only problem is my boss.

He talks to me like I'm an idiot, not seeming to except the fact that I'm learning. My problem is my friend has managed to get me an interview at his place doing networking and I'm not sure whether or not to go for it.

My worry is that I'll be leaving a job that I like with a manger I don't and risking it for a manager I like and a job I may not...
Anyone with any experience reckon they can help me out at all? I've done bits with networking at work but it's a computer repair place so isn't really needed much. I basically don't want to jump form the frying pan to the fire...

Thank you in advice!!

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well what do you do now???

Have you tried sitting down with your boss and explaining to him how you feel in a easy way?

How does he talk to you??? Can you give a specific example??

Is this your first ever IT Job?

Honestly how long have you been at the apprentice job? You really are not tied down to the job at all. if you explain to your boss how you feel and nothing changes then I would leave.... a Networking job is a better opportunity then a PC repair Job.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Lil'SuzieLil'Suzie Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, first IT job, still learning! Just not really having the opportunity. I know networking expands your opportunities but I'm just worried I'm not gonna like it... I'm sure a nervous person, haha. I've only been here 6 months and still don't have a contract so it's not like I can't leave
  • Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I say just go to the interview anyway. Theres no harm getting the interview practice at the least. If they offer you the job you've got real choices then and you can decide what you want to do at that point.

If you did happen get the job and turned out you like networking, awesome. If you didn't just stick it out as long as you could then move on into an area of IT you really enjoy. As long as your gaining experience you'll open more doors, so better options down the road.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to do networking, then I would probably take the new position if offered especially if you aren't really lening much at your current position anymore.

In today's economy you are most likely going to hop jobs multiple times to get the experience that ultimately gives you the salary you want and the type of work you want. Learn what you can at your current job, but al ays be looking for that next step in your path.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No matter if you enjoy your work now or if you don't feel ready for networking you need to move away from a bad biss. Period. Eventually you will start disliking the job because of the bad boss. You are still learning and that's what you need when you start, to expose yourself to as many different areas as possible so that you can truly discover what you enjoy and also what you are good at.
    Advice: go for the interview and leave the bad boss.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others have said, go to the interview. It will give you experience in interviewing for IT jobs. You will know whether or not the company is a good one during the interview process. You are not bound to take the job, if offered.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you are unhappy at your current job, and you sound like you are, go for it. It's always good to practice interviewing skills, practice pitching yourself, so even if you are not offered you at least have that little bit more experience. And if you are given an offer, you are not required to accept.

I have done the same things, when companies approached me, gone to the interview process, without the intent of taking the job, but to sharpen and maintain people skills. Now I would never do that for jobs I applied for (if I apply it means I am serious), but if they come to me, and it's not quite the job I am looking for, I may go along in the hiring process, and who knows, there may be perks that I didn't expect or other benefits to the job. In some cases I did end up accepting.

There's nothing to be gained by remaining at a job you are unhappy with.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now that I'm the job market again, I'm reminded it's definitely it's own skill set to find a job. Not being nervous interviewing, knowing your pay scale, following-up, etc. Like anything else, I think the more you do it, the better you become at it. Nowadays, there's interview over webcam, fraud job postings, etc., things of no topic many years ago.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alternatively,
    you can try Standing up for yourself.
    Call the jerk out, the next time he talks down to you.

IF that doesnt change things, then go to HR.
    Worst case, you get fired.

but sometimes it's worth it...
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lil'Suzie wrote: »
    Yeah, first IT job, still learning! Just not really having the opportunity. I know networking expands your opportunities but I'm just worried I'm not gonna like it... I'm sure a nervous person, haha. I've only been here 6 months and still don't have a contract so it's not like I can't leave

I would go for the other job and see what happens. If they offer you a job then take it.... always remember

"people never leave jobs... they leave bad bosses at jobs"

A bad boss will make a job that is good, very bad. Its better to have a good boss then a bad one
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get me an interview for that networking job

I'm working helpdesk and it's basically purgatory sometimes slipping in hell

I would take the chance since networking is a harder field to get into and leads you to a real IT career and not a tech monkey job
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    technogoat wrote: »
    Get me an interview for that networking job

I'm working helpdesk and it's basically purgatory sometimes slipping in hell

I would take the chance since networking is a harder field to get into and leads you to a real IT career and not a tech monkey job

Imagine a world where users are not yelling at you first thing Monday morning. It'll bring tears of joy to any help desk employee.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree