Options

DoD CCNA jobs

amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have come into a situation and was wondering if anyone has advice. So, I started my first IT job about 6 months ago after passing Security+. This is a DoD contracting job (end user FSR type stuff) in Hawaii and its minimal pay, which is expected for my first job, but the biggest problem is that I work a shift that literally has NOTHING to do. I mean NOTHING, which means I have almost zero experience after 6 months. The good thing is that I used my 8 hour shift to study for CCNA and I just finished it recently. My question is, if you were in my shoes, would you go for a networking/NOC type position with a CCNA but practically no experience? Would you stay at the current position ( I can see the upside to this)? Do network admin/engineer positions typically earn more on DoD contracts than Desktop support positions? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How long have you been at this job?

What do you do at this job, or what are u supposed to do?

NOC positions offer more pay, but its hard to get into that job without experience... BUT if you have a solid understanding of networks and networking you can apply for that position and hopefully get it.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been at this job for 6 months and Im supposed to be doing layer 2/3 desktop support. Yeah, it sounds like experience is key. Thanks.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Like one of those catch 22s, to get experience without a job, but you can't get the job without experience.
    I went along a similar path but in System Admin. If you think networking is your forte, then certainly pursue the CCNA, it can only help. But don't stop with learning the materials to pass the CCNA. Study networks and networking too. Create networks in packet tracer, practice troubleshooting problems. Set up all imaginable configurations, create RIP, OSFP, EIGRP networks, create a network that uses all three. Throw in some ACLs and extended ACLs. And for sure, set up VLANs, learn to configure network switches and routers so you can route between VLANs. Set up VLSMs. If you have the cash, buy real equipment and practice on those, it's better, but at least packet tracer gives you a feel for it.
    Doing this, when it comes to apply for a NOC job, even though you don't have actual experience, you will have the skills, you should be able to answer technical questions. This can help you get the job.