Being more efficient and closing calls/tickets in a timely manner

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been employed as an Break fix field technician for a year. I visit business and residential clients in the NYC area and enjoy being in the field. I am grateful for this job but personally, I know I can do better. On average, I close about 5 to 6 calls per day according to the teams daily performance report, which is consider high. For those who have done this type of work before, What are ways for me to perform better and replace hardware parts quickly and in an efficient manner?

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    I have been employed as an Break fix field technician for a year. I visit business and residential clients in the NYC area and enjoy being in the field. I am grateful for this job but personally, I know I can do better. On average, I close about 5 to 6 calls per day according to the teams daily performance report, which is consider high. For those who have done this type of work before, What are ways for me to perform better and replace hardware parts quickly and in an efficient manner?

There isnt, you have reached your peak at that role, sure you can increase your closed calls to 7-8 but will that do anything? Not really. Thats because break fix positions are not complex, they are simple entry level jobs that you will hit a dead end at some point. You need to move on if you think you can do better.

Your next step is to move to another higher job as a Helpdesk or Desktop support or entry network or server type job. Thats the advice I'd give you, having been in the same job you are now and now working in Infosec.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed with FORCE;
    being a desktop "field tech" is a great way to learn/earn some experience... but you need to think bigger.

Maybe try Server support?
    or maybe something else.

Perhaps look into the Network+ curriculum...
  • Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Perhaps look into the Network+ curriculum...

Anything else beside N+? Mine expired in 2014.
  • GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I agree with the others, desktop support should be your next goal or even snagging a jr. network or admin job. The certification route depends on where you want to go with your career...do you want to work on servers? Linux? networking? You will have to figure out where you want to go before you have an idea of which certs to get.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    Anything else beside N+? Mine expired in 2014.

You can try to look at Microsoft certifications like the MCSA. Cisco's CCENT/CCNA.
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "What are ways for me to perform better and replace hardware parts quickly and in an efficient manner?"

What do you mean by "perform better"?
    Better for your current job and/or future (growth)? If you are currently tier 1, try to move into tier 2 or 3, as others have stated. Do not be complacent in your current role, which I'm currently learning the hard way.

How are you currently replacing hardware?