Taking a non-technical job but gaining SAP experiance. Any value ?

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been out of work for a bit and my wife wants me to interview at her work for a customer service job. It's a non-technical job but they use SAP and Microsoft Excel a-lot . I would be making more money at this customer service job then I made at my old Telecommunications job. I don't know anything about SAP other then it's a database program. My wife thinks this position will benefit me down the road because while it's a customer service job I will be pulled into different projects and my project coordinator skills will grow as well my use and knowledge of Microsoft excel will grow,

What do you all think? Do any of you have SAP experience and has it helped you ?

Regards
mgmguy1
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think your wife is smart, give it a shot. You have nothing to lose, you are out of a job.

Your analysis seems fair enough.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would give it a shot, but I would try to get assigned to a more technical project in the short term. Depending on your career plan, if you get stuck in a non-technical role for long, I think we will see a post from you in 4-5 years, on how to get back to a more technical roles ;)

Sure getting some SAP experience can be good, but you need to get under the hood, or on special project (migration, new version..) That's where the value of this experience is for you.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your wife is smart.... Cook her a nice dinner and thank her for that. You should go for the job. You can learn SAP and do well.
    RULE #1 ALWAYS listen to your wife.... 99.9% of the time she will be right about things like that. Take her advice and do it. It will benefit you AND her in the long run. Your wife wants you to do good...
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm not giving up hope for a Technical job. My Linux Plus studies are coming along and I think I will be ready here in the next few months to take the test. In the meantime and I'm just trying not to be down. I have never been unemployed for this long in my life but I know I will find something soon.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Go for it. You can also send resumes while you are employed without the stress of being without a job.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Linux experience could help land you on a Basis team......
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a sizable SAP team at my work and they do very well for themselves. Its a beast of a platform to learn so be prepared, but I highly recommend it.
    Thanks all for the responses. My wife works at CertainTeed . CertainTeed is a North American manufacturer of building materials for both commercial and residential construction and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Saint-Gobain SA, based in Paris . She put my resume in today and we shall see what happens. I had an interview with a local a local telecom provider for there Help Desk position but we will see what happens. @Databasehead, I am currently going thru the LinuxAcademy Linux + and LPCI-1 System Administrator course. I hope to get Comptia Linux + Certified here soon. Whenever I interview I can ask more about SAP and how it's used there and see where to go from there.

Fats Domino
    Knowing Linux is a great skill regardless. (Of course there are exceptions but not many).

In fact we recently had a position open up here in BI (Not IT) and one of the req's were strong Linux scripting knowledge. Of course I have little to none and little just left town...

When is your interview?
    @databasehead, Well my wife put in my resume today. I assume they will call sometime next week. The need customer service people. I need a job and I am good with people and getting things done. I despise drama so hopefully it will work out. ? It's been frustrating. I have never been out of work this long. 4 years ago I was out of work for 5 months and then one day I got call in for an interview. I aced their written test ( 20 Networking questions) and I did well on the in person interview. By the time I got home their HR person called me with a Job offer. I started 2 weeks later. I am hopefull I will land something here soon. In the meantime I come here ( Starbucks) and study for 4 hours then go home. I know I will get something, I just want it to be something where I can learn new skills after I do my time.

Fats Domino
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck OP! In a similar boat. Recently laid off; not sure how long it'll be before my next gig. Feels like it's going to be a while. In the mean time, grinding out job searches, honing the resumes/cover letters, and working on my interview skills. Thinking about WGU also.
    @mgm good keep us posted, good luck

Panther, look for an SAP gig, its destiny!
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I wouldn't unless you need to pay bills.
    Repo Man wrote: »
    I wouldn't unless you need to pay bills.

Sounds like they are out of jobs so most likely you would take the job in this scenario because you have to pay the bills.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To the OP.. how long have you been out of work?

I was out of work for 4-5 months, and I did get some interviews, but no job.

All of sudden things got crazy....

I did a PC refresh project one week, and then the next I had 4-5 job interviews, and two job offers.

Last Friday was my first day at my new job. Yes, it's an IT job.

Are you utilizing recruiters? Is your resume posted on the job boards example..Dice?

You gotta keep applying for jobs. I know it's east to say ,but there is a job out there that needs your skill set.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    I have been out of work for a bit and my wife wants me to interview at her work for a customer service job. It's a non-technical job but they use SAP and Microsoft Excel a-lot . I would be making more money at this customer service job then I made at my old Telecommunications job. I don't know anything about SAP other then it's a database program. My wife thinks this position will benefit me down the road because while it's a customer service job I will be pulled into different projects and my project coordinator skills will grow as well my use and knowledge of Microsoft excel will grow,

What do you all think? Do any of you have SAP experience and has it helped you ?

Regards
    mgmguy1

I forgot to ask, are you getting interviews?

If you're getting interviews, then you need your interview skills.

If you're not getting interviews, then there might be an issue with your resume.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor