Options

The reason that IT jobs are sent overseas...

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is because people don't know their worth.

I have an account on a few freelance sites, and this one remote job stood out to me, and people were applying, at least 20 last I checked.

And look at what their hourly rate is! (Mind you, the people that were doing the hiring were based out of Asia, but still)

Comments

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I see it is an MSP advertising for the role. These are pretty aweful companies to work for on the whole - all time has to be accounted for, reported on, rationalised and made more efficient so it is not unreasonable for them to start looking for people from Africa and India who will work for these rates from places that they can afford to live.

They are likely to regret the decision as I have not met any company in the last 30 years who have outsourced overseas and thought it was a good long term idea. Quality invariably drops as the companies suppying the staff go through the same cost cutting process and hire ever cheaper staff, leading to a death spiral for quality. They largely count on keeping a contract for the duration then using the name to get others further down the line.

You get what you pay for in this line of work - certainly at the bottom end of the salary scale so the consequences are likely to be dire.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Is because people don't know their worth.

there's "knowing your worth".... and then there's "putting food on the table".

You can only take the high-road for so long on just the principle.

As long as people are willing to exploit other people... it will continue to go on.

heck, you don't have to look overseas;
    there's plenty of exploitation happening right here at home.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    My 2 cents before this thread gets locked.

As soon as a job can be broken down into basic pieces and turned into a process it's at high risk of being sent somewhere cheaper. It can be to the southern US states where the cost of living is cheaper, or it can be overseas where the people are cheaper. There isn't much that's going to stop this. Now that you know to ensure you are working in a job that constantly innovating, live below your means and have other ways to make $$$ outside of your job.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Lower cost of living but the reality is that you also get what you paid for in some of those cases. I haven't always seem the best quality when outsourcing to some of those places. When many of these countries are home to dumping farms, the quality of engineer tends to go down... thus you get what you pay for.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow $4-6 dollars!!!

Are the people applying for this job from other countries, other than the US?

4-6 an hour is big money in other countries.

This is really sad, because I have seen jobs like this go for $15.00 an hour or more plus benefits.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shodown wrote: »
    As soon as a job can be broken down into basic pieces and turned into a process it's at high risk of being sent somewhere cheaper.

I concur, if troubleshooting can be broken down into a flow chart anyone can follow, then it doesn't matter if phone tech support is onsite getting $25 an hour or in India getting $2.50 a hour.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I concur, if troubleshooting can be broken down into a flow chart anyone can follow, then it doesn't matter if phone tech support is onsite getting $25 an hour or in India getting $2.50 a hour.

I think I'll start a business writing flow charts. Lol
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think I'll start a business writing flow charts. Lol

Typically, it is called a Process Engineer or a Workflow Engineer. It is common with large scale enterprises that run ERPs similar to SAP.

Become a good workflow engineer, with expertise in something like SAP, and you are looking at $110-120K, pretty consistently.

Same goes for expertise in some of the larger enterprise content management systems, like Hyland, OnBase, Perceptive, Documentum, Sharepoint, etc.

A good workflow engineer can take horrible descriptions of existing processes, and streamline them out removing the hurdles. Combine that with the ability to implement the processes and workflows you design, and you are in a nice spot.

But, you have to know business operations really well, and be comfortable talking in business terms, rather than technical terms. Especially with HR and Accounting. They are almost always the largest internal customers for those kinds of systems.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And every time I'm on the phone with those individuals overseas, I get exactly that...engineers worth $4/hr.