Options

Never Seen This Before

johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
So a job that I totally forgot about today sent me a notice saying that I was once again not chosen for the position. I thought, OK no big deal. Then I get this follow-up email.

Subject: [h=2]Please disregard previous email about candidate status[/h]

Hello,

Due to an error in our Applicant Tracking System, you may have been sent a note about your candidate status.

Please disregard this email as it was sent out in error. You are still an active candidate within our system, and we hope to be in touch soon.

I have not received a phone call from this company yet and I have no idea when I applied to the position. Question is, why would they even let me know this? Does this mean I am being seriously considered? I am not allowed to reply to the email as it is automated, so I can't thank them for telling me about the problem. Shame.

Working on: A+, MCSE Server 2012

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't know, this email could be another error. My first though is to just not think about it too much and keep searching.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I don't know, this email could be another error. My first though is to just not think about it too much and keep searching.

Thing is this would have never even entered my mind again, if not for these two emails lolz. But yes, something tells me that the second email was an error as well, maybe sent to everybody that is still "in the system," but not yet deleted or something. I don't know if this would be a firable offense in larger organizations... Since they claim bug is at fault, I don't want to blame anybody.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Do what everyone does: blame IT. HAHA!
  • Options
    Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It could be that the top candidate accepted the position and then pulled out right before the start date. The company is now scrambling to contact the next people in line. This happens all the time.

As for the email, that has never happened to me before. The closest thing that I have experienced to this was a company that I was a perfect fit for hired someone else. About a month later, the manager calls me and ask if I am still in the job market. Apparantly, the guy that they hired did not work out so well. I was no longer interested so I declined.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    johnIT wrote: »
    So a job that I totally forgot about today sent me a notice saying that I was once again not chosen for the position. I thought, OK no big deal. Then I get this follow-up email.

Subject: Please disregard previous email about candidate status

Hello,

Due to an error in our Applicant Tracking System, you may have been sent a note about your candidate status.

Please disregard this email as it was sent out in error. You are still an active candidate within our system, and we hope to be in touch soon.

I have not received a phone call from this company yet and I have no idea when I applied to the position. Question is, why would they even let me know this? Does this mean I am being seriously considered? I am not allowed to reply to the email as it is automated, so I can't thank them for telling me about the problem. Shame.

Happened to me. Soon as I received it, I sent an email to the hiring manager (Pamela) expressing my gratitude for taking the time to interview me. A few hours later, she called me and said it was an HR error. We were both pretty upset. She doesnt know what happened, but only thing she remember was asking the HR to make an offer. Unfortunately, I had an offer from another company on standby when I received the erronous email. Needless to say, the email from the hiring manager was two hours too late.

Here's the email I received from the Talent Manager:

We are deeply disappointed as well. That status you read was foranother position and had nothing to do with the one Pamela has. I deeplysorry that this happened and wish I could turn back time. Please stay in touchand good luck with your new position. If you’re ever thinking of looking foranother career or if this doesn’t work out, please contact me.

The "recruiter" pushed the wrong button apparently :D
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thing is this would have never even entered my mind again, if not for these two emails lolz. But yes, something tells me that the second email was an error as well, maybe sent to everybody that is still "in the system," but not yet deleted or something. I don't know if this would be a firable offense in larger organizations... Since they claim bug is at fault, I don't want to blame anybody.

Firable offense? damn that's intense. Honestly this was probably just an oops, wrong button or key pressed in some confusing software? new HR person? it's really a wild guess at this point.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I say, move on.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Firable offense? damn that's intense. Honestly this was probably just an oops, wrong button or key pressed in some confusing software? new HR person? it's really a wild guess at this point.

Naaaaaa They probably chuckle to be honest and move on.......
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Question is, why would they even let me know this?

Mistakes happen, I remember on my last job, a programmers acceptance letter was posted emailed to the ENTIRE company by HR, along with his pay rate. My guess if they don't want there potential candidates to write them off as a potential employer, interviewing is expensive. How long was it between emails? a day or two or within minutes?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    518 wrote: »
    Happened to me. Soon as I received it, I sent an email to the hiring manager (Pamela) expressing my gratitude for taking the time to interview me. A few hours later, she called me and said it was an HR error. We were both pretty upset. She doesnt know what happened, but only thing she remember was asking the HR to make an offer. Unfortunately, I had an offer from another company on standby when I received the erronous email. Needless to say, the email from the hiring manager was two hours too late.

We are deeply disappointed as well. That status you read was foranother position and had nothing to do with the one Pamela has. I deeplysorry that this happened and wish I could turn back time. Please stay in touchand good luck with your new position. If you’re ever thinking of looking foranother career or if this doesn’t work out, please contact me.

The "recruiter" pushed the wrong button apparently :D

But at least that was more personable than this is. I would like to thank them for letting me know what is going on with their system, but I guess they can't talk to potential employees.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    518 wrote: »

Is this an exact copy? Is her space bar broken or something? So they are writing you an email apologizing for a mistake with grammar errors in it? Show how little they care about you, they can't even write a letter apologizing for a mistake without mistakes in it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I say, move on.

Yup, move on. If they want to bring you an for interview they will call or email you.

As far as being an active candidate, I think that is a blanket statement that they say so they don't get sued or back lash from potential candidates. Sorta reminds me of the "We will keep your resume on file for a year"

There are plenty of companies that have professional HR people, that actually double, trip and quadruple check emails they send out to canidates.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You TOTALLY have this job... Hope springs eternal and all that...

Wait.. maybe not...
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Is this an exact copy? Is her space bar broken or something? So they are writing you an email apologizing for a mistake with grammar errors in it? Show how little they care about you, they can't even write a letter apologizing for a mistake without mistakes in it.

Yes, that is the exact email. The spaces were all correct on her email. I think when I copy and pasted from her outlook email, the spaces disappeared. She may be using an Outlook "stationery."

But anyway, I have seen talent managers who doesnt even respond to candidates' email. She didnt have to respond nor send me a followup email.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like stuff that HR generated - sometimes, they place job ads as a place holder against future requirements, so when something comes up they already have a stack of candidates who applied for the job already. Sounds kind of silly, because people usually have a window of time before they find something else, and are off the job market. But it is what it is.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is why I dislike HR filtering systems. I feel like they should only be used for positions that have more turnover and many more applicants, such as customer service or an average sales job. I'd hate to pass up on a potentially awesome IT candidate because the HR filter didn't like something on their resume.