Options

How long at a job is enough to put on a CV/Resume

Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
How long at a job is enough to put on a CV/Resume , for example is 6months long enough at a job to add it to your CV or is shorter time a possibility.

Reason i ask is i recently had a interview for a call centre job , broadband tech support. And if i get offered the position i really have no long term plan to stay there. I know what the job is and have read 100s of reviews by previous emplyees saying there is no hope of promotion to level 2 - 3 etc but for me it will be just so i can put on my CV i have tech support/customer service history.

i was thinking IF i get offered the job which will really be just for my CV as the money is poor and will not be making much money doing it given that i have to pay travel/petrol expenses and parking etc i will really only be doing it to put on my CV

how long will be long enough to add it to my CV for future purposes of a better position in tech support , also i plan to have CCNA r&s completed by xmas so i was kinda saying to myself grin and bear it for several months get the cert and then get a better job

any thoughts pls

Comments

• Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3mo is ok, but 6 looks much better. Also, that CCNA will do great things for you, don't prolong and get it ASAP!
  • Options
    hi thanks

yes i have 1st icnd1 exam on monday and then hoping to get icnd2 as soon as possible , but if i get that job i'm saying xmas will be a good/realistic deadline for icdn2 too. Then January i could job hunt with updated cv.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think 3 is fine as well, if you have a good reason for leaving.

1 month or less I wouldn't list personally. Looks strange..... ( of course if you are new and it's your first short termed project then its fine ).
  • Options
    johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long at a job is enough to put on a CV/Resume , for example is 6months long enough at a job to add it to your CV or is shorter time a possibility.

Reason i ask is i recently had a interview for a call centre job , broadband tech support. And if i get offered the position i really have no long term plan to stay there. I know what the job is and have read 100s of reviews by previous emplyees saying there is no hope of promotion to level 2 - 3 etc but for me it will be just so i can put on my CV i have tech support/customer service history.

i was thinking IF i get offered the job which will really be just for my CV as the money is poor and will not be making much money doing it given that i have to pay travel/petrol expenses and parking etc i will really only be doing it to put on my CV

how long will be long enough to add it to my CV for future purposes of a better position in tech support , also i plan to have CCNA r&s completed by xmas so i was kinda saying to myself grin and bear it for several months get the cert and then get a better job

any thoughts pls

I've had gigs for two months. When I get interviews, it's never been a problem. I'm not sure how much that hurts me overall though.
    Working on: A+, MCSE Server 2012
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Could always bull your way past any questions and say it was a temporary contract
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you should list anything longer then a month.

I would plan on staying a year. Usually a years experience is what will be requested for a lot of entry level jobs.
    I'm not saying stay a year if another better position comes up. I'm saying if your looking for tech experience don't go quit to work construction 7 months in (get that 1 year in under your belt).
  • Options
    IronmanX wrote: »
    I think you should list anything longer then a month.

I would plan on staying a year. Usually a years experience is what will be requested for a lot of entry level jobs.
    I'm not saying stay a year if another better position comes up. I'm saying if your looking for tech experience don't go quit to work construction 7 months in (get that 1 year in under your belt).

thanks everyone for replies

Yes i would stay until i found another Tech position, i have already turned down a job in hardware (door handles etc) that was next door to me basically and better pay cos i want to stay on the right path to get a proper career/job.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd stick it out for 3 months then start applying elsewhere casually. At the 6 month point apply elsewhere more aggressively. Aim for getting out of there before your 1-year point.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP