Options

Transitioning to Networking....

FreejoleFreejole Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! So I just passed my CCNA:R&S on Monday and am going to be looking to get my foot in the door of any networking jobs that I can. I am 31 and have been a professional tattoo artist for the past 10 years. I have no formal experience in networking or IT, my dad was a computer programmer ever since I was little so i've just always be around it. My tattoo career has been extremely successful, i've been in magazines and won awards at conventions all over the US and am sponsored by a few companies, but little of that relates to networking in any way.

From any of you guys experience, what would be the best way for me to make that transition? I have been very up front on my resume and when I interview I will make it clear that I am here to learn, not like getting the CCNA cert makes me some kind of big head know it all. I haven't 'oversold' my qualifications on the resume, im just wanting to come in humble and start at the bottom and get some real world experience as I work toward my CCNP.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you still going to tattoo?

Getting into networking is difficult. Most will suggest starting in a helpdesk/desktop role and moving up from there. You could also look for entry level NOC jobs, or maybe find a VAR that is looking for junior guys.

Keep learning and labbing, the more skilled you are, the better your chances will be.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, it sounds like your tattooing business has been quite successful, why the transition to IT?

MitM is right. Entry level NOC is pretty much where I would direct you as well. Another good option might be to try to find some monitoring type roles, operation tech/data center tech roles. Those don't tend to require too much experience and its a good way to get your foot in the door or at least something "IT" related on your resume.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    The tattoo business is actually very successful, I will almost surely take a pay cut to switch to IT. The last three years I have made $70K+ after taxes but it is very hard on family life. I am constantly traveling to conventions and even at my home shop, 90% of clientele are only available nights and weekends, the exact times when my son is having his sports practices and games and all the family stuff that I am missing out on. Also, although the money is good, there is sort of a cap on it, the most I would probably ever make is close to $100K but that would involve even more traveling and being away.

I am willing to take a paycut in order to get into an industry which not only has more stable, family-friendly hours, but there is a (somewhat) linear progression to make more than $100K with years of experience/higher level certs and the right opportunities. Also, tattooing provides no benefits whatsoever in terms of retirement, healthcare, PTO, any of that, which I presume most decent tech jobs will include to some extent.

Thanks so much for the responses guys I will definitely be looking into those types of positions and let you guys know how it goes.:D
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very interesting. Keep at it and best of luck.

What area are you from?
  • Options
    Im in the Savannah/Ft. Stewart Georgia area but am willing to relocate for the right position.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The job market is strong in the Atlanta area! I'm going to start the process of looking for something myself shortly, so I'll post updates for what I see locally as far as entry level networking/support!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    The job market is strong in the Atlanta area! I'm going to start the process of looking for something myself shortly, so I'll post updates for what I see locally as far as entry level networking/support!

Thanks! I wouldn't mind relocating for sure if all the logistics worked out. I've been to Atlanta a couple times but never lived near there. Thanks again!
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Freejole wrote: »
    Also, although the money is good, there is sort of a cap on it, the most I would probably ever make is close to $100K but that would involve even more traveling and being away.

I am willing to take a paycut in order to get into an industry which not only has more stable, family-friendly hours, but there is a (somewhat) linear progression to make more than $100K with years of experience/higher level certs and the right opportunities. Also, tattooing provides no benefits whatsoever in terms of retirement, healthcare, PTO, any of that, which I presume most decent tech jobs will include to some extent.

Kudos for thinking long term.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Kudos for thinking long term.

Thanks! I really love what I do but its not something I really see myself doing into my 40's and 50's and its time to get a grown up career lol.
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I came into networking at the age of 35 after a career as a retail manager.

Started on help desk last a year ago May, studied for ccna while on help desk then applied for a role in the network support team as soon as I could.

Got that role in February and have been loving the change ever since!

Try and get the help desk role. You will need to get your foot in the door and earn relevant experience so to speak. You will have the advantage of already having ccna as well
  • Options
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I came into networking at the age of 35 after a career as a retail manager.

Started on help desk last a year ago May, studied for ccna while on help desk then applied for a role in the network support team as soon as I could.

Got that role in February and have been loving the change ever since!

Try and get the help desk role. You will need to get your foot in the door and earn relevant experience so to speak. You will have the advantage of already having ccna as well

Thanks! Im in a bit of an advantageous position in that I already make good money so I don't necessarily have to take the first offer that comes along, however if it becomes where Im having trouble even getting into like a NOC or level 1 position then I don't mind taking a help desk role as long as the pay isn't horrendous.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    at 31 (back in the day), I transitioned from being a data assistant to being the network admin for my lab. I was very lucky. Since then, I have been in a variety of roles since then. Ranging from assistant network admin ->Database Manager. My advice, learn a bit of everything and don't pigeon-hole yourself. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    UK helpdesk wage is minimum wage or just above. My company pays £16500 but there are others in the area which pay £18k.

Depending on your location in the UK you might be looking around £20k. Helpdesk and level 1/tier 1 are the same thing.

Obviously some helpdesks are more technical than others though
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just 7 years ago I've was in your position at age 25, at the time I was delivering pizzas (I was making a lot less trying to transition though). I completed half my CCNA while in college while attending a Cisco Network Academy. I too had zero industry experience and was finding a hard time getting a job in networking. I won't lie to you, it is going to be a tough road ahead but keep at it and someone will take you in.

Also, don't expect to make a bunch of money right off the bat. Most likely the most what people will consider you for based on your experience is an entry level NOC / Help desk role. Don't let that stop your drive. Absorb everything like a sponge, be humble, and dedicate additional free time to learning. Be the guy that is seen at his desk studying before his shift starts, the first one to take on new challenges, the person to give help/share knowledge whenever able to, and you will get noticed and more will happen for you quickly. I followed the same principles and I went from working help desk (not even networking related) in 2010 to a Sr. Network Engineer role (now).

It may take 5 years or more of experience before you can start making what you were making as a tattoo artist but your earning and learning potential will have little boundaries. It's all a matter of how much you invest in yourself to get there.

Best of luck!

Edit: One great benefit to being a skilled tattoo artist now is you can maybe supplement your income in your early stages of your career transition!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi