Options

ITIL for personal career growth?

PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone pursued ITIL for personal career growth, even though they might not be going into management?

I have several years of Help Desk/Desktop Support experience. How I work is, I like structure to things. So I was intrigued by ITIL, and had considered pursuing it for personal career growth, even though I wasn't into management

If anything I thought it would help bring book structure to my thought processes and ways of doing things that I had acquired from work experience.

Since being laid off, I'm considering pursuing management/system admin. So why not kill two birds with one stone, personal career growth/possibility of going into management, by pursuing ITIL?

Would pursuing ITIL not be a good use of my time?

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure about system administration but for service management it wouldn't be a bad idea.

IT Admin Assistant
    IT Service Desk Manager
    IT Service Desk Lead
    IT Service Desk Supervisor
    IT Service Manager
    Managing any service group really......

It would be good for that. Even some of the other hybrid help desk functions. Like Access Management .
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The ITIL Foundation and Practitioner certs would be right up your ally. They are not focused on management, per se, but understanding the basics and knowing how to apply them. The Intermediates and Expert level might be something to pursue later on in your career as it develops.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Yes! After studying ITIL you will be red pilled. Especially if you work in a mismanaged environment. Implementing ITIL processes provides a whole different level of value that some things like configuring OSPF or setting up a Windows domain doesn't. It can help answer the questions when, why, how, and what. Personally I think everyone in IT should study ITIL. A lot of companies even require their IT workers to be ITIL certified.

If you become a 'Systems Administrator' the ITIL service operations lifecycle stage would be very relevant. Sys admins generally manage and practice the processes that fall under the service operations stage. All 5 of the stages (strategy, design, transition, operation, service improvement) should be at least understood though because many of the processes overlap the stages.

You like to structure things so I think you would find great value in ITIL so I highly recommend.