Options

Things change quickly......

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
New job all is well, everything is jiving......

One of our analyst is now leaving and I have the pleasure of getting their projects that are over due and just a mess in general. I'm thinking about pushing back on a few of these to be honest. Some of them organically make sense with what I am doing so those are a go for sure, but some of the others are completely outside of my space. Not to mention I am getting hammered on a current project.

With that rant aside the real question is, do you experience this? Where something is going good for 3 months, a year whatever and then BAM, turns into craptastic city.

My previous job was ~2.5 years and it was really good. Before that it was a total of 14 months, which 11 - 12 were really solid. Looking back 2.5 years was a huge blessing.....

Overall the job is fine, but it's beginning to trend downward a tad already after 4 months. I've told myself to give it another 3 weeks to see if it stablizes, if not I'll probably start looking.....

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whelp.... that's why they pay you the Big Bucks :]

As long as the compensation makes it worth your while.... keep showing up.
    But once the stress/frustration takes over... Bounce outta there!

My current gig (MSP) was good for about 6 months; now its just a flood of never ending tickets.
    Brutal!
    lol

Fortunately, i have my exit strategy.
    Im just counting down the days to July 1st (299 days to go)
    :]
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Give it a year...looks better on the resume. However, you can still send out resumes.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Thanks for the insights.

Had lunch with my co worker to get their opinion. Making sure my concern was legit and not emotional. They agreed there was some potential for skill and career rot.

I actually marked down a calendar date reminding me to review situation in 4 weeks. If things have become worse then the transition will begin.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @DBH;

The killer phrase here is that dread, skill and career rot. Of course the question arises why did the last analyst leave/leaving? Second what keeps the person there from leaving? Is there any reason not to trust this person or is there any possibility of being seen as a threat?

Skill rot. Shivers.

Love the reformed cert addict line though! icon_thumright.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It has happened to me before. My last position started out as a dream job, I had opportunities to soak up new skills and knowledge like a sponge. Then we started losing engineers to better paying jobs, which resulted in more stress for the ones who stayed and that lead to even more shortages as people left because of stress.

I really enjoyed working for that company and overall I did enjoy my job. However there was a point when my stress levels started creating issues outside of work. My blood pressure went up and the stress created a stain on my marriage. In the end I had to do what was best for me and transitioned out. I hated leaving the job knowing that I was making it worse for those who stayed but you have to take care of yourself.

On the bright side, it looks like my leaving spurred something in management. They had a hiring spree after I left.

Don't end up getting stuck in the loop of "I'll give it more time to see if it gets better" and end up realizing one day that you have been miserable for years.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Yea, I know all about that man. 8 months into my current job (which I happened to love and felt was the best situation possible) my manager dropped the bomb on me that he resigned. Was like a gut punch.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Happens all the time, roll with the punches.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Does your production justify your salary? Is there someone more qualified to do those projects? Is management going to replace the analyst? If it's extra work are you going to be compensated?

Questions I'd be asking ... ^^

Based on your previous posts it seems like your management sucks so I doubt you'd get any rational answers or help from mgmt lol
  • Options
    Without hesitation they said there will be a back fill, so that is promising.

The other analyst was more of a project manager. Getting signoff, requirements, UAT.

I am more of a database analyst, I dig into stored procedures, develop complex SQL, look at trends and patterns across massive datasets, typical BI related functions. The last thing I want to do is become a PM. My career path is architecture or something in that space.....
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Having two of three jobs on your resume under 15 months will not look good, especially if one is six months. If your 14 month job had been over two years, it would be easy to say it's a one-off. We all make mistakes "yep, that organization just wasn't the right fit for me. I've learned that I need to ask more questions during the hiring process", and every manager will think back to the job in their history that fits that and will be sympathetic. Two jobs that short makes me, as a hiring manager, wonder if someone gets frustrated easily and quits as soon as there's a speed bump.
  • Options
    It goes

5 months - Current
    2.10 years made it through 2 review cycles both rated as high as possible. Max Bonus + Increase both cycles.
    1.2 years made it through a review cycle, > 5% increase...

That's the duration current state.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Having two of three jobs on your resume under 15 months will not look good, especially if one is six months.

Well... He can always lie about it :]
    Or, perhaps he can go into consulting.

Either way, i wouldnt stay at a place with potential skillrot just because the duration won't "look good" on my resume...
  • Options
    I really do appreciate you all chiming in. I'm going to stick to my plan, ride it out for a month and then evaluate. I can apply for other positions after 6 months.....