Options

Create a fake account to apply to a job?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
I applied to a position about a month ago. Never got a call back.
It was posted again and I figured I could update my resume and change a few answers to questions that it asks.

Unfortunately, even though it is 'technically' a new posting, it says I've already applied. I attempted to call HR, yet I got a Customer Service Rep (it's the electric company) and they gave me some answer that it isn't possible and they were told to tell people; HR will call them.

Not, what I wanted to hear.

For those that know these systems, would their be any harm to creating another account with different e-mail and submitting my application/resume again this way?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, it is wrong. You didn't get called back for a reason.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, it is wrong. You didn't get called back for a reason.

Agreed! It's wrong to make another account and submit another resume.

The systems are in place to weed out the candidates. The questions they ask are used narrow down candidates.

Trust me I don't like these systems either.

There are a couple ways around this though:

1) You applied on the company website. You can try applying via jobs indeed

2) Apply via Linked in the company should have a linked in account.

3) You could try reaching out to an internal recruiter for the company via LinkedIn and asking if they will look at your resume. This is a long shot though.

Does anyone in your network work for this electric company?

Keep applying for jobs. Don't focus on just one job.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm on the other end of the argument. I don't think it's wrong. I'm guessing someone's nephew didn't take the job at this place and they had to repost it. If it is brought up, you could always just say that your other email address was compromised and you had to create a new one, so you applied again.

Many places i have worked, there's nothing wrong with people applying multiple times for a position, you just want to make sure HR didnt just gloss over your resume for someone else they favored at the time (IE someone that applied who knew someone to get them a job).

Go for it.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't do it, you will be found when they cross reference your real id when you are called with the one that didn't. Besides, its not just an email address that you need to fake, you would need to apply under a fake name also since your real name will already be in the database.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't do it, perhaps just reach out to HR and make your interest to the job known and mention that you had applied prior.
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's probably a new posting for the same role. Rather than using your energy to defeat the application system, expend it on persistence - keep trying to find a way to get in touch with HR. Find new contact info. Maybe try to connect to someone on LinkedIn and see if they can put you touch with the right people.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go for it!

WHat's so "fake" about it, anyway?

Their system is probably tied to an email address, so just use a yahoo account or something.
    As long as you use your Real information (name/resume/etc), then WHo-the-F cares if you applied twice?!

It shows persistence! (or maybe Desperation)
    Either way... companies Love both these characteristics :P
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Go for it!

WHat's so "fake" about it, anyway?

Their system is probably tied to an email address, so just use a yahoo account or something.
    As long as you use your Real information (name/resume/etc), then WHo-the-F cares if you applied twice?!

It shows persistence! (or maybe Desperation)
    Either way... companies Love both these characteristics :P

Smart man, volfkhat. You're right it was only tied to my e-mail. And I didn't have to use a fake e-mail. I just used my WGU e-mail, just as professional. I took some of the advice from this forum, found the company on linkedin, yet only found the linkedin profile of the Director of HR. No one lower than her on the totem pole. Our initial correspondence didn't go so well, so I left it alone.

For those that keep saying find new contact for HR. You know this is an electric company.(that provides fiber optic) It literally took me 20 minutes on hold just to speak to a customer service representative.

But, it's all said and done. Now I just wait...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any particular reason why you think you'll advance further in the interview process the 2nd time?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    Any particular reason why you think you'll advance further in the interview process the 2nd time?

Well honestly thanks to you guys at this forum and another; my job description/resume has received a major overhaul.

It went from:

[FONT=&amp]
    • Responsible for the support and maintenance of Microsoft Windows servers and workstations network
    • Maintain the operations of multiple networked devices installed in various offices
    • Provide technical support for administrative and student users, locally and remotely
    • Perform pre-staging user accounts and reset passwords via Active Directory
    • Train employees on new software and hardware
    • Utilize ticket system to track new and escalated issues

to this

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]•Provide first and second level support for administrative staff and 900+ student body, locally and remotely via TeamViewer
    • Maintain the operations of multiple networked devices installed in various offices
    • Managed Symantec Endpoint Protection server for campus wide security solution, including the deployment of clients
    • Assigning desktops to domains and resetting passwords via Active Directory & Windows Server 2008 R2
    • Re-imaging of desktops and laptops using Symantec Ghost
    • Running and terminating Ethernet CAT5-6 cables to patch panels across campus
    • Train employees on new software and hardware
    • Utilize Footprints ticket system to track new and escalated issues[/FONT]

And I don't know what I was thinking, maybe I rushed through it the first time, but I didn't leave any references.

And there was a question that stated
    Do you have any past experience with DNS and DHCP servers / applicances? Do you have any experience with Routers and Switches? Do you have any experience with VMware? *

First time, I put no, I think my thinking that was that my 'yes' wasn't to all three. I just elaborated my experience in the next tab.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So what? If you really want the job, go for it. It isn't fake, it's just another profile. Who knows what happened to the first batch of applications? People seem to assume they are all reviewed thoroughly & categorized accordingly, but you don't know that for sure (unless someone from their HR can speak to that exact situation, which it doesn't sound like they can - and you did your best to follow up with them on the phone.) Go ahead and apply again, it's likely no person even saw your first application because it either was reviewed by a computer, or possibly the entire batch of applications was overlooked for some reason. Unless you get a letter from HR saying "Thank you for your interest", etc. then be persistent and apply again. The worst that could happen is somebody gets a little annoyed - again, so what.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If that bold question you posted above was a yes/no checkbox and you checked no, your application went to the recycle bin. If those applications ever have a yes/no box to check and you can't check yes, I can almost guarantee it's going to a black hole.

There is a statistic from my workplace that something like 30-40% of applications started are completed. It's probably those check boxes, and then the 100+ question behavioral nonsense exam at the end. It's without a doubt a 90 minute plus process.

In this department and probably others recruiters bring candidates in, they basically offer them the job, the candidate must then complete the application (haha). I say this because some people have mentioned applying on the job sites, which is probably your best option. However, using a different account to apply given you checked all boxes is probably sufficient as well.

Good luck
  • Options
    Second Submission got me progress. It definitely got thrown in the trash the first time, cause this time I was directed to do an assessment, after the posting closed.

Different half personality/half math/half word scramble/half questions like this.

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cool beans!!

Now, i believe everybody in this thread (besides nole07 & mbarrett & Queue) owes you an apology for their bogus advice!!

lol
    ;]
  • Options
    Ugh, I despise those questions. Think they should be outlawed.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ugh, I despise those questions. Think they should be outlawed.
    Me too. I really can't stand the ones that show a bunch of shapes and want to know the next in sequence.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    One time, I did that test and the woman emailed me back and wanted to meet with me. I agreed, thinking I had aced the test. For 45 minutes she went over the test and finally declared 'we are too much alike, therefore, I can not work with you.' WTF? I took a shower for this? It took every ounce of willpower in me not to tell her off.