Job Posting Dates?

johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm not really sure if this is just a question or an observation, but as a guy who likes to check job openings periodically I notice that there is some discrepancies between job boards throughout the web. For instance, I use LinkedIn for job searching because there's no clutter and no spam, and hardly any third party recruiters. The recommendation engine is really top notch too. So I apply to some jobs as soon as they are posted to LinkedIn.

I don't really go searching anywhere else but Indeed occasionally. Yet sometimes on sites like Monster or Glassdoor the job that I just saw pop up on LinkedIn has been posted on these sites for weeks. So does LinkedIn actually suck? Or are they just posting on LinkedIn because they didn't get who they wanted on the others? Can anyone in IT recruiting shed some light on this? Should I change my default job search engine?
Working on: A+, MCSE Server 2012

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting.....

You would think there would be an API used to source the data from an internal system posting out to the sites you mentioned.
  • johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting.....

You would think there would be an API used to source the data from an internal system posting out to the sites you mentioned.

Yeah I know there are services like that and I've seen ICMS' internal system from an interview I've had there. I know that's available. I just applied to a job that was posted to LinkedIn four days ago, but on Glassdoor it said it was posted over two weeks ago. At this point I'm wondering if LinkedIn actually is just a slow crawl that's stuck in the mud and if I should abandon ship.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    and yet, I have applied for linked in jobs that were posted more than 30 days and sometimes, I get a fast response....it is odd though
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my current job and previous job through LinkedIn by applying directly from the apply now link. I got a response within 2-3 days and didn't have to deal with the HR filtering systems since the internal recruiters/hiring managers could see my profile. I think more companies should use this approach.

Applied for another job 2 weeks ago through the company website and still haven't gotten a response yet. I typically move on after 2 weeks of not hearing anything.
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    I got my current job and previous job through LinkedIn by applying directly from the apply now link. I got a response within 2-3 days and didn't have to deal with the HR filtering systems since the internal recruiters/hiring managers could see my profile. I think more companies should use this approach.

Applied for another job 2 weeks ago through the company website and still haven't gotten a response yet. I typically move on after 2 weeks of not hearing anything.

Yeah I've never got a reply from a direct website. Usually through some portal.
    I just saw another one this time it's Indeed. Got another notification from Indeed that said the job was posted 9/9. Then checked company ratings like I always do on Glassdoor, for the heck of it I searched the job listing on glassdoor and what do you know? The IT job Indeed just alerted me to was on glassdoor for 30+ days. Is glassdoor the leader then?
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    johnIT wrote: »
    I just saw another one this time it's Indeed. Got another notification from Indeed that said the job was posted 9/9. Then checked company ratings like I always do on Glassdoor, for the heck of it I searched the job listing on glassdoor and what do you know? The IT job Indeed just alerted me to was on glassdoor for 30+ days. Is glassdoor the leader then?

Glassdoor is definitely the most desirable for employer/job seekers. I'm not sure if its the ease of use, or the user friendly interface, but I feel like that's the first place most people go. I personally like Glassdoor and have had great luck from it.
    labscloud wrote: »
    Glassdoor is definitely the most desirable for employer/job seekers. I'm not sure if its the ease of use, or the user friendly interface, but I feel like that's the first place most people go. I personally like Glassdoor and have had great luck from it.

The thing that I wonder about is, is this employer done or automatically done? Is Glassdoor just the quickest thing and then these other sites crawl the jobs 30 days later? Or is it the employer that is posting the job on Indeed 30 days after Glassdoor yields no results?
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    johnIT wrote: »
    The thing that I wonder about is, is this employer done or automatically done? Is Glassdoor just the quickest thing and then these other sites crawl the jobs 30 days later? Or is it the employer that is posting the job on Indeed 30 days after Glassdoor yields no results?

I think most employers go to Glassdoor and post their positions there first, then post to other job boards. Maybe the logic is people who use Glassdoor are the best fit for the job.... Weird I know.
    labscloud wrote: »
    I think most employers go to Glassdoor and post their positions there first, then post to other job boards. Maybe the logic is people who use Glassdoor are the best fit for the job.... Weird I know.

Huh. You would think they would pick LinkedIn. But that's probably expensive. I kind of understand the logic, being that I research the companies' salary and if they are or are not a sweat shop before I apply. I just don't know how many people utilize Glassdoor's job applying section. Indeed and even LinkedIn are more commonly known for that.