Options

part-time after hours jobs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Wife isn't the issue. My kids are grown and on their own and I have a granddaughter (and likely a few more down the road). I don't want to miss out on that and obviously they aren't going to drop their careers to move with us. If they were younger and still at home then this discussion may be going differently. I am approaching 50 and picking up and moving is a little more complicated at this age.

Yes, have a B.S. in IT and an ESXi 6.5 server at home. The issue is almost every interview I have been on I am asked how many years of experience I have with this or that. I explain that I have done it in my lab and read up on it and got a cert in it but they want hands on experience and I have been told that a few times. Figured since I will be sitting around all winter being bored I could make a few extra $$$ and get some of that experience along the way. Sure I could lie about my experience but I won't do that. Seems like you can't get those jobs without that hands-on at a paying job, at least around here. I could move 20 miles closer to the city and that would be fine and cut my future commute in half but for now I am happy with my current job and plan to stay here another year or two. At that point I may move but not ready just yet. And this isn't about money. I make enough to be comfortable. Just never hurts to have a few extra dollars in your pocket while learning along the way.

Oh, you're old and should be retiring...
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Oh, you're old and should be retiring...

Well good advice there. Thanks for your input! Glad you were able to offer your .02. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option is to teach at a local community college or technical institute.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would not take any part-time job in IT. Usually they are much more hassle than what they pay for. If you want to stay in IT, work on improving yourself (certs, class..). Or take a job outside of IT, because the risk of burning out is real.

Also, I can't tell for USA, but in Canada, if you have already a good income, taking a part time job would mean more income-tax and perhaps changing the taxation bracket and that would affect all my income (not good at all).
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Teaching at a CC is a great option or maybe at a tech school in your area. As far as your work goes, you can advertise on Craiglist, Facebook, Nextdoor neighbor app, it really depends on your market and your sphere of influence.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Thanks. Will check that out. Not looking for PC repair type stuff. Did more than enough of that than I care to think about...lol. I have set up networks, domains, etc., just haven't done it for a few years but wouldn't mind getting more experience with VMWare and cloud. I have an ESXi 6.5 server here at home (was 5.5 until I upgraded it). I know the basics but figured doing a little side work wouldn't be a bad idea.

Volunteer opportunities maybe? For the experience.

I assume volunteer means easier to get your foot in the door (may not be the case), so you can get experience.

I'm tempted to volunteer, as I'm currently unemployed. However, they want several months commitment and some of that is during daytime. If I find a job I'll have to break that commitment. On the other hand, I do have some time.
  • Options
    LarryTRLarryTR Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this thread is somewhat old, but it's still 2017 so...

Anyway, I was just curious if you ended up finding a relevant PT job, dhay13.

It's rough living/working in spread-out areas. I know.

Being that you are already working remotely/telecommuting, it should be easy for you to find another remote job because you have already proven they can work autonomously in a remote/telecommute environment. Not everyone has the discipline to hold/keep a telecommute job, as much as they would like to think they do. But finding something specific with specific hours is going to be a real challenge.

Good luck. I hope you find something.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well since the somewhat old thread is new again, might as well add my 2 cents.

I'm not knocking it but I'm not sure how moving is so easy to some of you. I read two good reasons for moving, but I read many more reasons why people wouldn't move, and there's even more reasons that come to my mind. To each their own, I guess.

As for the OP (if you're still checking the thread), for the skills you want to learn, see if you can partner up with anyone who already has those skills and try looking for freelance jobs on Upwork or some of those sites. This would help you learn and would also count as real-world experience.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MitM wrote: »
    I'm not knocking it but I'm not sure how moving is so easy to some of you. I read two good reasons for moving, but I read many more reasons why people wouldn't move, and there's even more reasons that come to my mind. To each their own, I guess.

Some people want adventure, others want familiarity. The statement "I have lived in the same town my entire life and my kids go to the same high school my parents did" is comforting to some people and mind-numbingly boring to others. Neither is right or wrong but economically, people who are willing to move generally make more.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Some people want adventure, others want familiarity. The statement "I have lived in the same town my entire life and my kids go to the same high school my parents did" is comforting to some people and mind-numbingly boring to others. Neither is right or wrong but economically, people who are willing to move generally make more.

I agree 100% with you. Although, for me, I know I could make a lot more by switching to consulting roles than I could from moving

As they say, your mileage may vary
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fayz wrote: »
    I would recommend fieldnation.com.

I took a look at it, the website takes 10% of what your paid right off the top, you also must maintain your own worker compensation and liability insurance. The jobs are a few hours here, a few hours there, most of it looks like day time work, not practical for someone that has a full time job. A few of the longer assignments I saw was 32 hours, you represented yourself as ABC inc for Engineer level network troubleshooting services another was a 6 month project manager engagement at $100 a hour. Most of this crap is 1 or 2 hour engagements, like run one Cat. 5 Network cable and install jack, 1 hour at $45 a hour, for the most part, it's not worth the bother of driving any distance for such a small payday.

One interesting job I saw was a Unix System Administrator for 8 to 10 hours a week. This is a could be a good gig for the right person, show up one or twice a week to run backups after your full time job and check the systems health, week after week.

There also doesn't appear to be a way to delete my account, once created you in it forever, I used an burner email address, and didn't provide any info other then my name so I'm not bothered by this.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    LarryTRLarryTR Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I have done that kind of contract work before (not IT) through other similar sites. Generally, it is for people who work as IC for various companies and pickup extra work when they are going to be in/very near that town/city for other work and know they can fit it in. Otherwise, no, it's not usually worth it. And seeing how you have to provide your own worker's comp insurance, it would only be worth it if you are already an IC and already have that insurance and getting a lot for work. But you'd be amazed how many people can't "do the math" and take this type of work, essentially working for just a few dollars an hour - if they're lucky.
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MitM wrote: »
    Well since the somewhat old thread is new again, might as well add my 2 cents.

As for the OP (if you're still checking the thread), for the skills you want to learn, see if you can partner up with anyone who already has those skills and try looking for freelance jobs on Upwork or some of those sites. This would help you learn and would also count as real-world experience.
    I think that depends on your age, where you are in your career, and if you have friends and family nearby.

Given that I am early in my IT career, I'd be perfectly willing to move to a better job market. Hawaii isn't exactly Silicon Valley(though I'm not eager to move there either), cost of living is very high(I'd probably live better on $60k in the mainland than $100k here), and I'd expect taxes will keep going up. Also I don't have kids, I'm not married, and I don't have a lot of relatives here. So it would be a pretty exciting opportunity for me.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE