Options

Start-up experience

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've recently seen a junior position at a new local MSP start up. The position is a junior support engineer role that will focus on cloud services and cyber security. The only requirements for this role is 6 months in a desktop support role or a relevant IT qualification both of which I have. Does anyone have any experience working for start-ups. What should I expect the pay to be like?

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pay will vary based on the location (NYC and SF pay more than Nebraska) and the shift.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As said, pay will vary based on location and shift. Find out if it's a 24/7 shop, length of shifts, chance of rotating shifts or oncall requirements, cross training opportunities, etc. My guess is that being a smaller shop or startup, the shifts are likely to be longer (maybe 10-12 hours)...but you might get a chance to cross train some into different roles. Generally the culture in small companies is relaxed and casual. I would also find out if they pay hourly or salary, as overtime can be nice on an hourly setup (1.5x in a lot of cases) but stinks in a salary environment...although if you already have long shifts it might not be good quality of life to work extra.