Options

So About WGU's BS CSIA(Cybersecurity and Information Assurance) Degree

Accurs3DAccurs3D Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just wanted to open up a discussion about WGU's new cybersecurity bachelor's degree.

I'm wondering why WGU didn't include Linux+/LPIC-1 or CCNA R&S in there instead of the additional EC-Council and CIW certifications. Linux is definitely VERY helpful to have in the infosec world, as is a solid foundation in networking. A network+ does give some fundamentals, at least.

The other tracks like network admin and network operations and security have heavy-hitting certs with an oomph like MCSA Server 2012 and in the case of Network Operations and Security, THREE (3) CCNAs:
  1. Cisco Certified Network Associate (Cisco)
  2. Cisco Certified Network Associate – Security (Cisco)
  3. and Cisco Certified Design Associate (Cisco)

Honestly the difference seems to be that network admin is basically focused on systems administration, the network operations and security track is focused on network administration with some security focus, and the cybersecurity program decided to go all out.

Personally, I've applied for the CSIA program and am just awaiting transcript evals. My interest is in cybersecurity, so that's why I made my decision. I can just gain the Linux and networking knowledge myself, although it'd help and would be a major convenience if the certs were included in the program.

What do you guys think?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Accurs3D wrote: »
    I just wanted to open up a discussion about WGU's new cybersecurity bachelor's degree.

I'm wondering why WGU didn't include Linux+/LPIC-1 or CCNA R&S in there instead of the additional EC-Council and CIW certifications. Linux is definitely VERY helpful to have in the infosec world, as is a solid foundation in networking. A network+ does give some fundamentals, at least.

The other tracks like network admin and network operations and security have heavy-hitting certs with an oomph like MCSA Server 2012 and in the case of Network Operations and Security, THREE (3) CCNAs:
    1. Cisco Certified Network Associate (Cisco)
    2. Cisco Certified Network Associate – Security (Cisco)
    3. and Cisco Certified Design Associate (Cisco)
    Honestly the difference seems to be that network admin is basically focused on systems administration, the network operations and security track is focused on network administration with some security focus, and the cybersecurity program decided to go all out.

Personally, I've applied for the CSIA program and am just awaiting transcript evals. My interest is in cybersecurity, so that's why I made my decision. I can just gain the Linux and networking knowledge myself, although it'd help and would be a major convenience if the certs were included in the program.

What do you guys think?
    Toss in CCNA CyberSecurity and remove CIW and anything from EC would be great. Adding at least Linux+ would be a definite bonus in terms of marketability.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They do some questionable things like that with other degrees as well. The IT Security degree has CCNA R&S and Security, but the IT Networking degree has MCSA instead of CCNA icon_silent.gif

My guess for the BS Cybersecurity degree is that EC Council gave WGU a great deal on their vouchers, so that WGU would push their unwanted certs into the market...
  • Options
    Accurs3DAccurs3D Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Crap, somehow I made duplicate threads. Can we merge them somehow?
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey, you end up with an RA degree and certs. You can't beat that, regardless of the certs. Other comparable schools typically only offer a degree.