Options

Which Profession/feild I should go for??

fouzimedfounifouzimedfouni Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I have a quick simple question;

I am attending community college now (software engineer) and honestly I start having doubts about it, I am getting kind of advanced in Java and I am so excited about it, But I figured that I don't need school to learn programming because most of my programming skills I got it from the internet and Youtube tutorials. I am thinking about changing my Major, but I have no Idea how the other branches doing and the jobs available right now in the workforce. anyway: I took Java 110, and almost all the electives and general education requirements :), so I am good to go, just need 6-7 more courses and I will get my associate :)

now the million dollar question is what is the best branch that I should persue (even I know you guys will tell me to choose what I do like the most) .....by the way I like anything related to computers .....one more thing ...I would like something with less to no MATHMATICS .....I took MAT150 which was required for all computer majors, so I am good with math now......Java I will keep playing with it because I like it, and If i wanna do something with it later on in life/workfirce at least Ill have a 4 years degree by then to back my knowledge and credibility :)

I remembered a senior member here back in 2015 he advised me to go with : INFORMATION SECURITY since he's software developer and told me that if he can back in time, he would take it instead of Software careers (which I agree with him somehow..) because if you can pass a programming job interview and you have any 4 years degree in hand ....80 percent possibility that you got the Job.

Right now I am looking into : **information security (AAS)
**computer information systems (AAS)
**web developing (CCL)
**Microsoft Networking Technology(AAS)
**as_2016-17_final_0.pdf17-18_aas_computer_information_systems_0.pdf17-18_aas_information_security_0.pdf17-18_aas_microsoft_networking_technology_1.pdf17-18_ccl_web_developer_1.pdfAssociate in Science (AS) The Associate in Science degree is designed for students planning to transfer to four-year colleges and universities. In general, the components of the degree meet requirements for majors with more stringent mathematics and mathematics-based science requirements. Generally, the degree will transfer as a block without loss of credit to Arizona’s public universities and other institutions with district-wide articulation agreements.

AND I HAVE ATTACHED THE MAJORS' MAPS in case you guys wanna take a look at the courses and tell me what branch has the most desired skills in the market right now :)

Thank you so much
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    MIMEMIME Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're seven courses away from your associates degree finish that up with the path you're on. Once you're in the workforce for 5+ years most employers that require degrees won't care what your major was in they are simply going to see that you have a degree. Take the opportunity to get an internship. This will help you immensely in determining whether you will actually like doing what you're studying. Take lots of time to read through various job boards: Indeed, etc and look carefully at various job descriptions. This will give you a solid sense of what the market is like right now AND you can decide for yourself what the best path is.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    *field. icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    fouzimedfounifouzimedfouni Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MIME wrote: »
    If you're seven courses away from your associates degree finish that up with the path you're on. Once you're in the workforce for 5+ years most employers that require degrees won't care what your major was in they are simply going to see that you have a degree. Take the opportunity to get an internship. This will help you immensely in determining whether you will actually like doing what you're studying. Take lots of time to read through various job boards: Indeed, etc and look carefully at various job descriptions. This will give you a solid sense of what the market is like right now AND you can decide for yourself what the best path is.

Thank you so much, I took all the electives and general education courses....even Java course that I took toward my software engineering degree is transferable to information security....so I'll have 7-8 courses to both professions icon_smile.gif
    I like programming and I like anything related to computer as I mentioned above, but .....if I can learn Programming on my own, why would I waste time learning it at school if I can learn something else icon_smile.gif. I LOVE hacking things and cracking programs etc, so I think I'll go for information security ..... what do you think?
  • Options
    MIMEMIME Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You might want to post this question here IT Jobs / Degrees Forums I've been in IT for a LONG time just recently having made the switch from systems admin/engineering to cyber security. Regardless of what you choose to major in now IT will look different in five years. Be prepared for a lifetime of learning. Java may be the hot language of the moment and in five years a different language is hot. In cyber security the bad guys will find new ways of getting in and how to stop them will change as well. Go find various meetup groups (cyber security/programming/etc) and talk to people doing what you think you might want to be doing. Find out what they regard as the pros and cons. This would be a start and figuring out which path you want for now.