Options

How to get ahead of the game?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This may sound strange, but get a part time job waiting tables. You will learn more about interacting with people, and dealing with high pressure job situations than anywhere else.

Some of the best colleagues and employees I have ever had, all waited tables at some point.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    curtis2 wrote: »
    Is there any specific degree you would recommend like CS or IT? I heard that CS would be more well rounded since it also opens you up to dev jobs incase IT falls through or does it just not matter.

Computer science is probably the more common degree program at most schools, but many other programs are also popping up (Cybersecurity, Business/Management Information Systems, etc.). CompSci is usually more math intensive and is probably better for those who want to get into Software Development. Personally, I did my degree in Information Systems with a minor in Business and enjoyed it thoroughly because I got to take classes in several different disciplines (Networking, Security, Systems Design, Database, Web Development, Programming, IT Project Management, Business IT, etc.). To be honest, unless you plan to go into Software Development, your specific degree program won't really matter as long as it's technology focused. Your extracurricular activities and pursuit of certifications are what will make you stand out in the early part of your career. If you are planning to go to a brick and mortar school, then look at working part time for the school's student tech support and seek internships during the summer. Also see what the classes entail. Project based classes will be a much better learning opportunity compared to classes that just require papers and written exams.

Some people say degree's don't matter in IT and that may be true in regard to performing the job, but it's better to have the degree than not. Make sure you do plenty of research on the school, avoid for profit universities and take advantage of any career services that schools may offer!

Just my .02...
  • Options
    Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Certs are waste of money if you're planning to attend college full time.
    I respectfully disagree. Masters degree will not get you a position (from experience). It will put you in a strange place of you have book knowledge but no real experience to appeal to companies. Security+ will guarantee you work in the government sector. A+ will guarantee you a help desk/repair position. I think the trend now is certifications to get in a field and degrees to garner more pay.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was to have my time again I'd do CompSci (IT) or Telecommunications & Network Engineering (Engineering), I'd very much avoid "fad" degrees and streams like "BICT", "BIS" or "Mechatronics" which end up just teaching you a bunch of outdated JOAT skills that are irrelevant before you graduate. Like I mentioned before, see the Degree as just another certification and focus on your Industry certifications while you study.

In current economic times where hiring managers are 20-somethings with HR Degrees...

Degrees get you in the door, Certifications + Experience get you the job.
  • Options
    infosecsinfosecs Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »

In current economic times where hiring managers are 20-somethings with HR Degrees...

Degrees get you in the door, Certifications + Experience get you the job.
    priceless quote.
    A great degree, solid ccna skills and Sec+ knowledge will bake you very well for your first security gig
  • Options
    cbdudekcbdudek Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    curtis2 wrote: »
    I will certainly be pursuing a college degree, but I'm trying to look in the more short term so that when I am out of college that I have years of experience with a job. I just notice that to become for example a sysadmin you need x amount of prior IT/CS job experience that I can get out of the way after highschool. But I was wondering if a measly old comptia cert would land me a entry level job to get me that sweet sweet job experience. ty for the reply btw

You have the right attitude. When I was going to school, while my friends were partying and having fun, I got a job on campus at the computer labs. I worked my way up from lab monitor, to technican, to lab supervisor, to student network admin. I did two internships while I was going to school. When I graduated, I had my A+, Network +, and Security + and a boatload of good experience. I landed a great job thanks to that experience and certs I got when I was in college.

Anyway, getting a job on campus is a lot of fun if you are working in your field. Plus, you can leverage your work experience and get your certifications on campus at a discount while you are going to school there.

My overall plan would be for you to continue to learn as much as you can while in high school. If your school offers A+, Network+, and that kind of thing, then by all means go for them. Continue to push the envelope on your overall knowledge. Learn as much as you can. Be passionate about IT. Get your degree, and by the time you are in your 30s, the world will be your oyster with that kind of work ethic and passion in IT.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cbdudek wrote: »
    When I was going to school, while my friends were partying and having fun, I got a job on campus at the computer labs.

Can't say I agree with this college strategy... drunken_smilie.gif But getting an internship or two is definitely key to get before graduating.
  • Options
    cbdudekcbdudek Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can't say I agree with this college strategy... drunken_smilie.gif But getting an internship or two is definitely key to get before graduating.

Yea, well, I was a square back in college. I was a Resident Advisor on campus. School paid for my room and board and half my tuition for being an RA. I worked the max that I could (only 24 hours a week but I worked more and got paid at the end) and really pushed myself technically. I don't deny that I wish I could have had a bit more fun, but I had great memories of college and learned a lot. That is the express purpose of college. :)
  • Options
    LarryTRLarryTR Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you are only 16 and know what you want to do, get those certs and get your degree when you're young since you already know what you want to do.

Don't be in such a hurry that you just go to work and scrap getting certs and an educations. It will bite you in the arse quickly.

Don't spend your time drinking and screwing around in college. Spend that time studying and working part time in the field of study even if for min wage. The "college experience" is not about drinking/smoking your life away. That's a lie concocted by certain enemies inside our govt - believe it or not. Before you know it, you'll have a degree with no direction and end up in a crappy job probably not even related to IT and, god forbid, paying back a loan you can't pay back.

If you want to succeed in life, look at what the majority of people are doing...THEN GO THE OPPOSITE WAY!
    People are cattle, especially the young. Don't be a cow.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it from me....

you DONT I repeat DONT want to work on the Help desk....

The help desk is where IT careers go to die.... Your young so skip the help desk alltogether and get your degree + the A+, Net+, and Sec+
    After that you can be working on your degree. start with your associates then get a B.A. in a specialization if you wish....
    But again I say.... the Help desk is NOT your first option....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LarryTR wrote: »
    People are cattle, especially the young. Don't be a cow.

i disagree..... most people still are cattle.... being young you are taught to be a cow.... but as you get older you can still be a cow... a follower, and a pushover.... it all comes down to 2 things

1. How bad do you want to succeed
    2. What will it take to get there

if you want it you will make a way.... if you don't make a way then you don't want it.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios