The free course MOOC are drying up.....

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Seems like capitalism won out once again, understandable....

Remember when Coursera had all those great courses. Everything cost now...... Several other site that used to provide training are now rolling their courses up into a packages with a cost.

Thankfully Stanford, analytics courses are still free and VERY informative. I'm sure that will dry up as well.

It was fun while it lasted.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EdX has still has tons of free courses from top schools. Not enough hours in the day!
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've noticed this trend too. Back in 2012-2013, what started as this grandiose goal of globally available education, regardless of income, can now be had for the low, low price of $29.99 per month.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I've noticed this trend too. Back in 2012-2013, what started as this grandiose goal of globally available education, regardless of income, can now be had for the low, low price of $29.99 per month.

icon_lol.gif

Exactly, love how they spun it. Here is what I believed happened.

Universities getting ripped for outrageous cost and out dated material.
    Prices still stay up, but now they market to the public that they want to help educate the world with free on-line classes.
    Reality is, they want to test their new courses on a sub set of the population. They create a shell of a course brand it with their fancy name (But you can't use their name you have to use Coursera or the company that is delivering the course).
    Coursera sees dollars and begin to charge a fee, the Universities see this too so they want a cut.
    Now you have a Pay for use MOOC.......

Fun while it lasted.
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems like capitalism won out once again, understandable....

Remember when Coursera had all those great courses. Everything cost now...... Several other site that used to provide training are now rolling their courses up into a packages with a cost.

Thankfully Stanford, analytics courses are still free and VERY informative. I'm sure that will dry up as well.

It was fun while it lasted.

All of the courses I've checked out on coursera can still be reviewed free, they just charge you if you want a certificate.

"Full Course, No Certificate You will still have access to all course materials for this course" . Is the legend that appears when I try to enroll. So if you want the knowledge you can still get it, you just have to pay for the certificate if you want. Seems fair enough.
    fitzlopez wrote: »
    All of the courses I've checked out on coursera can still be reviewed free, they just charge you if you want a certificate.

"Full Course, No Certificate You will still have access to all course materials for this course" . Is the legend that appears when I try to enroll. So if you want the knowledge you can still get it, you just have to pay for the certificate if you want. Seems fair enough.

Which ones?

You clearly haven't been on there in a LONG time.... I just went on there and selected CS and Data Science and the packages that come up are 7 day trial with a subscription. EVERY course use to be free, EVERY, now the only courses that are free have been out there for a long time. It's all specialization and "micro degrees" for a cost.....

Check the last one out.... It's their main page. Pimping specializations, that's a fact jack.

• dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Which ones?

I've taken 3 free ones from Coursera this year (don't have much free time since I'm still in grad school...). Anyway, those 3 were:
    - Machine Learning from Stanford
    - Introduction to Key Constitutional Concepts and Supreme Court Cases from University of Pennsylvania
    - International Cyber Conflicts from The State University of New York
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use coursera, edx and ITPro.tv quite frequently. So your comments made me think twice, so I checked .

In coursera you have to use the audit this course option, it's below the enroll blue button. Here is a screenshot of Data Visualization , it's from the Data Mining specialization, "Courses 2 - 5 of this Specialization form the lecture component of courses in the online Master of Computer Science Degree in Data Science. You can apply to the degree program either before or after you begin the Specialization". I suppose you probably can't do the whole Masters for free as it seems there are projects involved but you can at least do the lecture series.

I think you have to add all the courses of the specialization one bye one.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Which ones?

You clearly haven't been on there in a LONG time.... I just went on there and selected CS and Data Science and the packages that come up are 7 day trial with a subscription. EVERY course use to be free, EVERY, now the only courses that are free have been out there for a long time. It's all specialization and "micro degrees" for a cost.....

Check the last one out.... It's their main page. Pimping specializations, that's a fact jack.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first taste is always free...
    Thanks for the heads up