Options

What are some of the free Infosec certs that one can obtain online?

jaguaarjaguaar Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to gain more and more knowledge and wondering if there are any certs that are available online for free? Won't hurt to lock horns and gain some knowledge and certs at the same time?:)

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They probably wouldn't be worth any thing if you did find any. Go for things that the jobs you are looking to get are asking for. Otherwise your most likely just wasting your time.

No one is going to pay any attention to a cert that they don't know what it is. Just because a cert says security in its name does not mean it will help you get a security position.
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They probably wouldn't be worth any thing if you did find any.

There is very few of them valued even they are free.
    Palo Alto ACE - good start before PCNSE
    Qualys
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can look at Cybrary Micro-cert they are very cheap. I would post it on my resume or on Linkedin but it could help get a micro goal :)
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your in luck! Qualys offers free training on their products, particularly PCI. Is it enough to get your a job? Ummm... no but it does answer your question. With security certification the old adage about "getting what you pay for" is probably the best advice to follow. Not that their aren't some useless (IMHO) certifications out there but if its worth getting its probably worth putting the time, effort and money into achieving the certification in the first place.

Of course employer paid training is ultimately more valuable to your wallet than the training you pay for.

- b/eads
  • Options
    jaguaarjaguaar Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Your in luck! Qualys offers free training on their products, particularly PCI. Is it enough to get your a job? Ummm... no but it does answer your question. With security certification the old adage about "getting what you pay for" is probably the best advice to follow. Not that their aren't some useless (IMHO) certifications out there but if its worth getting its probably worth putting the time, effort and money into achieving the certification in the first place.

Of course employer paid training is ultimately more valuable to your wallet than the training you pay for.

- b/eads
    Qualys is actually a well known brand so it will be nice to become familiar with its products specially the vuln scanner