Need advice on advancing in my career

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have been working as a help desk analyst for almost 6 years now. 2 years which I was a Helpdesk at a Software technology company and 4 years at one the best hospital in the country. Basically at the hospital, we answer calls and troubleshoot for multiple hospital apps and handle multiple different locations. It is mostly Password resets through AD on many applications, printer installs, and of course 1st level troubleshooting on anything before sending it to 2nd tier or 3rd. However, I feel like I am getting burned out and want to make more money and I don't want to be doing help desk for the rest of my life. The only thing is that I work from home most of the time and work 4 weeks at home and come back to the office every 5th week. I make almost $24.00 and save gas and can always be home for my wife and kids when they need me.

Do you think It would be beneficial for me if I start self studying for the security+ and pass it that I would be able to get a entry level, or JR system admin, security analyst , network admin type of job since I have a lot help desk experience. Would I make more then what I am making now. I feel like I can't leave the work from home perk that I have with the hospital.

Comments

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I would talk to your company about how to advance your career internally where the work at home perk would be available. I'd expect most companies hiring a junior level worker in a new role for the first time expect them in the office every single day. If there are no options internally, you need to make a decision of what's most important to you.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some people want to keep moving up, some people hit an area and are comfortable. It seems like you're ready to move on so I would definitely look at additional certifications. Which ones though are the question. If you can manage it, find certifications that are in-demand in your area as well as ones you have an interest in.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would only get the Security+ if you are in the US in a DoD heavy area. You’ve listed three diverse areas by listing security, Sysadmin, and network admin being potential jobs you want to move into. I think you need to decide on what you want to do next and then study either MCSA/RHCSA for a sysadmin position depending on if you’re trying to be a Windows or linux admin, CCNA if you’re going for a network admin, and I’ll let other people recommend security certs if you decide on that route seeing as I have no clue of what is looked for in that area.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed with earlier posts.

Sounds like you have a pretty decent "entry level" gig.
    Good for you!

But you should always be pushing yourself to earn more certs.

If you been there 4 years... you should ALREADY have a Network+; and/or Sec+.
    :]

Sec+ by itself... helps; but probably not enough.
    Sec+ & A+ will get you some "desktop tech" interviews (especially with DoD contractors).

Another path; go towards being a sysadmin (Server guy).
    Work towards MCSA (microsoft) or RHCSA (linux).
    ~Figure out how to use VirtualBox (it's free) and make it happen!

If you want to be a Network guy, go get your Network+, and then CCNA.

You can do anything you want, honestly.
    The work from home stuff is cool... but you LEARN more when you work around More Knowledgeable people...
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you want to go sysadmin, then start working on your MCSA. This is not to speak ill of the RH certs but there is a larger installed base for Windows and will give you the most bang for the buck. If you are interested in the Linux side, definitely go for the RH but get the Windows side in place first.

For networking, the CCNA:R&S is the best option, hands down. It's a valuable cert, and provides a great foundation to build on.

If you want to go security, there are two primary paths, in my opinion. If you are more interested in the red team, post incident side of things, look at something like the eJPT, building towards the OSCP. If you are more interested in the blue team, pre-incident side of things, I would look at something like CCNA, CCNA:Security, building towards CISSP. As that side tends to be more policy and project oriented, ITIL foundations would also be a good value.

As you move forward, you will find other certs of value to where you are or want to be. CCNPs, VMWare, etc all have a good place depending on your goals.

Note that all of this should come after the CompaTIA trifecta. A+, Network+ and Security+ are pretty core across all fields and are always on my recommended list, no matter what you are doing in IT. They also help lay the foundation for everything else.