Options

Southern New Hampshire University MS Information Security

NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good Evening everybody,

I am thinking of starting the MS in Information Security program at Southern New Hampshire University. This is an on ground program. I have an MBA that is pretty much useless and I am beginning to feel I need a STEM degree to grow in the information security field. I am coming closer to a decision to focus on information assurance.

Is anyone here in a program at SNHU?

Thanks!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

Comments

• Options
    AlternativeWisdomAlternativeWisdom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I graduate from SNHU with my BA in InfoTech in a few months. Due to my lack of experience, I am in no place to offer advice. However, I am fairly certain that most people here will advise against this. If you already have a graduate degree, getting a second one is going to have a significantly reduced return on investment. From what I understand, there are two major paths in the InfoSec field: Technical (specialized in one technology/vendor) and Management. IMHO, pretty much any MBA combined with appropriate certs such as CISSP, PMP, etc. and experience is perfectly fine for the management path.

Also, if anyone else that is more qualified stumbles across this thread, they will want to know your experience, where you work, where you want to go (goals), etc. before they can offer their expertise.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Debatable in whether getting a MS is worth it. I think your best ROI option is getting InfoSec certs. From there, which InfoSec certs? Offense, Defense, Compliance, etc.

Hopefully, you are already in IT in some capacity otherwise everyone starts at the bottom.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jdancer wrote: »
    Debatable in whether getting a MS is worth it. I think your best ROI option is getting InfoSec certs. From there, which InfoSec certs? Offense, Defense, Compliance, etc.

Hopefully, you are already in IT in some capacity otherwise everyone starts at the bottom.
    I am working as a one man IT shop and my title is "IT Manager". I am looking to get into an IA role. I do have some experience doing risk management as a DoD contractor on several programs. I spent a lot of time with the people doing the actual C&A and was encouraged to get into that field. I have my Security+ and I am currently studying for my CISSP.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil