Options

CISSP-ISSAP - new syllabus

scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
Dear all,

Has anyone passed the new ISSAP exam? Any thoughts regarding how it differs to the previous one? Recommended sources to prepare? Hoping not to use that old CBK book owing to the terrible feedback received regarding it.

Best..
AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the "old green book", well primarily the bibliography and had no real problems with the exam outside of taking 90 minutes to complete. I really don't understand the complaints about the resource.

No, it doesn't compare to the nearly 1000 resources for the CISSP on Amazon but its supposed to be an "advanced" exam. Let's keep it shrouded in a bit of mystery shall we? It will be good for the exam to do so.

- b/eads
  • Options
    barmanbarman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    I used the "old green book", well primarily the bibliography and had no real problems with the exam outside of taking 90 minutes to complete. I really don't understand the complaints about the resource.

No, it doesn't compare to the nearly 1000 resources for the CISSP on Amazon but its supposed to be an "advanced" exam. Let's keep it shrouded in a bit of mystery shall we? It will be good for the exam to do so.

- b/eads

Hey,

Just to make it clear - did you pass the ISSAP exam according to the new syllabus (that is, after July 1st) using the current book ("Official (ISC)2® Guide to the ISSAP® CBK, Second Edition")?

How much time did you invest in studying for the exam?

Thanks!
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Past with the last or original, not sure "Green Book" and its been many years now. The information in the chapters is nice but essentially fluff to useless. I did selectively go through the bibliography, found a great deal overlap, primarily studying from my own experience and from the resources found therein.

I didn't buy any additional books based on the bibliography but did scan through one book I found in a now defunct Borders. Nothing serious, just a lunch time browsing session two blocks away from work. I did however download and read every single .PDF in that bibliography I could find. Every web page, every concept was covered from several different angles.

Anyone that can explain cryptography well is better than the amateur crypto-guy your likely to find on YouTube. Given much of the content out there I warn to be skeptical with much of the content if not label it: YouFail. Too much junk but look for those gems and conference videos by all means but if its some guy in his garage --> avoid.

I probably spent 10 days to two weeks casually collecting information and checking sources with another 10-14 of casual study followed by the test. If the test number started at 100 as the number was under 1000 to begin with, my test number would be 851, likely the 751st person to take the exam with a high pass rate, in the first place.

This was back around 2011/2012. I have no idea what the exam may look like now but will tell you I appreciated having done so on paper where I could read the entire test, see patterns and answer questions by seeing the correct answer in other questions.

Keep those screen based tests! LOL.

- b/eads
  • Options
    b0Risb0Ris Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    scasc,

I am also interested what you will find from this question. I was hoping to take the test in the next month or so but I am hesitant to sign up with so little knowledge around the new material.
  • Options
    scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the responses all - very much appreciated. Many thanks b/eads for the feedback and approach you took - very valuable.

Ideally I am hoping someone who has taken the new test can shed some light on how the exam was as I too am hoping to do asap. Syllabus looks very relevant.

Best of luck B0ris - let us know if you attempt and go for it.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • Options
    barmanbarman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads,

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck everyone.