Options

Need Advice Please!!! The day is coming up and I don't know how I should go about it

MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
Hello all,

So here is the situation. I am currently employed and was basically cornered into signing a year contract a few months back. I am now about to move and need to give them notice (before the year is up).

What could be the penalty for this? They are a smaller company and I am moving for family reasons so I'm hoping they will understand.

What is the best way to tell them?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, all of those answers should be spelled out in the contract you signed.

what does it say about penalties and notification?
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LOL
    exactly.

READ the contract.

If your employer is the U.S. military... i believe they could physically put you in confinement.

Short of that... who gives a crap.
    If you gotta go... then you gotta go :]
  • Options
    Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just tell them honestly that you're moving... which you are. Reread the contract and see what the time frame is to give them before you quit.
    Most companies will let you go just fine if you provide them a month or three-week notice before you move to another city/county or state.
  • Options
    There was no stipulations as far as penalties. I'm going to give them at least 3 weeks after I tell them.

I feel bad they are good guys. I would just need to pay back money from a bonus which was given to me as part of signing.

Other than that, I just feel bad. As I said, smaller company and they are all good guys. I have a feeling they'll be pretty pissed when I tell them.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    but if you have to move for family reasons..what can they do? Just be polite, up front and give 3 weeks notice.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Don't feel bad, it is business.

Next time you are entering a contract, make certain you can honor the whole deal, hence the contract in employment situations rather than just an employment at will.

Other than that, contracts are meant to be broken or renegotiated....can you support them remotely? Otherwise, be honest and move forward.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Employers don’t always like to follow the letter of the law. Just because it’s in the contract doesn’t mean it’s enforceable in a court of law. Contracts can also be ruled unconscionable. The only bad thing is you usually have to hire a lawyer and go to court to find out.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    and was basically cornered into signing a year contract a few months back.

How do you get "cornered" into signing a contract?

As others have said, the contract should stipulate penalties. Has the company done anything for you that is outside of paying your salary and standard benefits? You mention a bonus but things like moving expenses or training would also be examples. If so, they might have recourse to demand that you pay those expenses back.
  • Options
    No training or anything outside of standard benefits. It is just business, I also located the contract and read it again. No penalties. I doubt they'd take me to court over having to leave for family reasons and if they did I doubt there is anything that would come of it.

They know I have a daughter and want to move closer to her already so I'm hoping they'll understand (as most people would).

Thanks guys
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am confused about what the contract is, if there are no penalties in it.