Options

Peace Corps

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
This is something I've been strongly considering doing at some point over the next few years. It is a bucket list kinda thing for something I am really passionate about and I am finally approaching the no debt zone where it could be a reality. I am curious if anyone here has done it and what was your experience?

I am also curious from a manager/hiring perspective how you would view someone who disappeared for a year coming back to IT?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I disappeared for a year because my son was little and couldn't find a good part time IT job. It was kind of hard to get back in the game. Was asked a lot in interviews why the long absence. Was kind of sneered at saying I was volunteering at my son's school and doing field trips.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a hiring manager, it all depends on the reason and bringing experience from that absence to the current job. When it comes to Peace Corps, or any other work involving working with other cultures, I'm always very flexible. I feel that having that direct exposure to other cultures makes someone a far better employee. I can send someone to a class to catch them up technically, I can't send them to a class to replicate a year or two of living and working with a totally different culture.
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Peace Corps is an amazing opportunity and experience. However, it is not common and is therefore not always understood by hiring managers.

The secret seems to be the ability to relate the experience to how it it makes you a better employee, than the next person.

Responsibility and cultural diversity are two huge benefits. Each role provides others as well. Your goal is to highlight how PC made you a better person and therefore a more desirable employee.

This isn't just Peace Corps. I have even seen it with vets. When the hiring managers don't have a shared experience, you have to be able to demonstrate what your experience means in a positive light.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    That's great to hear - I agree with both of you. Companies should want people who are open to new, challenging experiences and are willing to learn over everything. At the same time though it is a little terrifying relying on what you think rather than looking into if that is actually the case!