CIPP/E Advice

Comments

• privacylawexamprivacylawexam Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am looking to take the CIPP/US exam, so I would be interested in an outline as well, if anyone would like to share.

Are there any good practice problems available? Everyone mentions that the set of questions available on IAPP's website is not representative of the difficulty and format of the actual exam.

Very concerned that this exam will be on par with bar exam difficulty.
  • CampbellCampbell Registered Users Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Following my previous post:
    Campbell wrote: »

Did you notice that the examination blueprint does not fully correspond to the chapters in the book? The chapter 'outsourcing' is not on the blueprint and part K of the blueprint does not appear in the book.

I talked to the IAPP today. They have informed me that only the topics that occur in the CIPP/E Body of Knowledge are part of the exam, "no curve balls!". The textbook is written on the basis of the BoW. That, therefore, underlines the importance of the textbook. Good luck!
  • dbacadbaca Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I am scheduled to take the exam on the 31st of this month. I have been studying a while. Everything I have read has made me a little nervous, especially since there isn't really a wealth of practice exam options. Additionally, there are many aspects of the GDPR that are still "grey" and we won't get complete fidelity until they get hashed out in court. That said, has anyone heard of or seen exam questions that you would categorize as trick questions; questions that are GDPR exception oriented; or questions that fall into the "grey area" and the answer could be different not because one is a BETTER answer, but because the language could be interpreted differently? I am not asking for examples. I just want to make sure I target my study areas appropriately.

Thank you.

David
  • fenua24fenua24 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there
    I failed the CIPP-E a month ago and planning to re-take it.
    I have 2 questions:
    1. when you retake the exam, are the questions the same?
    2. what is the passing score per domain? The first time I failed with :
    Domain 1: 75%
    Domain 2: 60%
    Domain 3: 50%

thanks!
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    senwar wrote: »
    Thanks - thankfully my 3rd attempt was successful last December. Was glad to finally get through.

I take the CIPT tomorrow. Fingers crossed on that one!

How did it go?
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • travellertraveller Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi! thank you for the information
    i wonder what videos did you use on Practising Law Institute, I could not find(
    thanks
  • TT73TT73 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,
    just found this Handbook on European data protection law.
    It is an official publication of European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights and Council of Europe.
    Can be downloaded for free here: Handbook on European data protection law - 2018 edition | European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights
    Can be also ordered in print copy from the link above.
    It looks promising. There is a good set of case law from page 379 on. It may be helpful in your preparation.
    Enjoy!
  • QuisUtDeusQuisUtDeus Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed with (88,74,100) after half a day of preparation. Used 65 mins of the allotted time. No tricky or misleading questions. Go through the GDPR thoroughly, review the functioning of the European (especially EU) bodies, know the story of privacy legislature development in Europe and you should be just fine. Oh, not to forget - read the questions and suggested answers carefully!
  • HellodollyHellodolly Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all! I’ve been studying a lot for this exam by reading the IAPP book and reviewing the slides. I’ve definitrly put in more than 30 hours. Has anyone here done the same and had trouble on the exam? If so, what would you recommend focusing on that’s not obvious from the IAPP materials? Thanks. Tootles!
  • rjkantorrjkantor Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    soltiske wrote: »
    Here's a dropbox link to my 50 page outline! Please ignore the really silly typos I found while I was studying: I wanted to get this out to you all sooner rather than later. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9z288rgb4q17iw/CIPP%20E%20Outline.docx?dl=0

Can this be reposted?
  • rjkantorrjkantor Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Schipol,

I have a document ready but it is 98 pages and I think it covers nearly everything. There is some repetition and some extra info that should be deleted so am gonna take another look at the document next week. I am happy to share the document with you.:)

Can you send me the link to your post?
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rjkantor wrote: »
    Can you send me the link to your post?

@lizette1121622 I would really love it as well!
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • pixieepixiee Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

This site has been very useful to me as I prepared for the CIPP/E.
    Took it this morning and passed with 77/75/66!
    I only used the IAPP book (and outlines of it from solsticke and lizette1121622- you guys are stars!).
    You need nothing else really.

Good luck!
    Hey everybody,

I did the exam yesterday and I also passed. What was difficult were the scenarios. A lot of information that makes you think of different subjects, only a part of which is reflected in the actual questions. Perhaps it is wise to first read the question and then the scenario. Difficult were also the questions that asked for the best or least bad option. Enough time. Some questions that did not return in the text of the book, but which could be done with logical reasoning.

I want to share some study material that helped me:
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 8
    Chapter 12

Good luck!
  • AlwaysStudyingAlwaysStudying Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Many thanks -appreciated...:)
  • pmcvpmcv Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am currently finishing the book, do you still have the outline? Would you consider sharing it with me? Thanks a lot!
  • carmaromcarmarom Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi everyone. have just taken the exam on sept 10 and passed. my scores were 100 83 81 for the 3 areas. my suggestions:
    - buy the CIPP/E certification book from the IAPP website
    - read the book at least 3 times and try to memorize the important info by making highlights
    - remember the WP29 opinions and case studies; some questions related to this
    - there are book outlines here on the forum added by other users; make sure you read it at least 3 4 times whilst trying to memorize as much as you can
    - there are quite a few case studies and what i did was i skipped them and left them at the end to avoid a time pressure; some of them are quite complex and span across 2 computer screens
    - you have the option to mark a question for review at the end if uncertain
  • Dan86Dan86 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, i am new to this forum.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I sat the CIPP/E exam this morning and unfortunately i failed my first attempt. My scores across the three domains were 75%/65%/75%. I have no idea how close i was to passing but wondered if anyone could help.

Kind regards,

Dan
  • aymn_louisaymn_louis Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i just passed the exam days ago and here is my scores

Topic Level Scoring:
    I. Introduction to European Data Protection: 66%
    II. European Data Protection Law and Regulation: 75%
    III. Compliance with European Data Protection Law and Regulation: 58%

it seems the most important score is no.2 (
    European Data Protection Law and Regulation) .

when i decided to study , i read the text book one time , reviewed the 30 exam questions document

• Sammy23Sammy23 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Campbell,

By any chance would you have additional study materials like those you posted?

Sammy23
  • CanyonCanyon Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed CIPP/E last week. Didn't take the training course. Bought the book and the sample exam questions online. I feel the exam is difficult and the sample exam questions are not representative of the questions in the actual exam.

My advice for what it is worth:

1. Prepare a flow chart or diagram that outlines the GDPR decision making process. The flow chart needs to be something that you can sketch out, in a few minutes, from memory, on the scrap paper they give you in the exam. This flow chart is going to be the basis for at least 50% of the questions and will help you think through the steps clearly when faced with the long, and deliberately confusing, fact patterns.

(Having some typed notes on each article of the regulation is like having an engine in a million parts, whereas a flowchart is a working engine. I had the misfortune of trying to put the engine together in the middle of the exam - which made the exam much more difficult than it needed to be.)

2. Learn the GDPR article numbers (1-50). Many questions reference the article number only and then ask a question such as "in light of what it states in article X" pick the best answer below. 

3. Read the questions very carefully - especially the short ones where it is just one sentence. I caught myself picking the wrong answer a few times as I had misread a word. 

4. Focus in greater depth on the subject areas that have the most questions - as detailed on the exam blueprint. Some subject areas have 13 questions whereas others have 3. Don't give each subject area equal study time. 

5. The UK ICO is a great source of information on GDPR and has good examples of how the Regulation applies to real life fact patterns.

• DPO_LondonDPO_London Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed with (88,74,100) after half a day of preparation. Used 65 mins of the allotted time. No tricky or misleading questions. Go through the GDPR thoroughly, review the functioning of the European (especially EU) bodies, know the story of privacy legislature development in Europe and you should be just fine. Oh, not to forget - read the questions and suggested answers carefully!
    Sounds like you took a different test than everyone else!  :D
  • gdprstudentgdprstudent Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the CIPP/e and failed with 77/62/66, which averages at 68% (and with a score of 295). The blueprint states pass rates vary from 65%-80% and scores range from 0-500 (but 300 doesn't mean 50%!)

Looking back through some of the comments on this thread it definitely looks like Domain 2 is the key section to learn (although it is shocking how you can pass by just scoring 16% in Domain 1!) 
  • DPO_LondonDPO_London Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the CIPP/e and failed with 77/62/66, which averages at 68% (and with a score of 295). The blueprint states pass rates vary from 65%-80% and scores range from 0-500 (but 300 doesn't mean 50%!)

Looking back through some of the comments on this thread it definitely looks like Domain 2 is the key section to learn (although it is shocking how you can pass by just scoring 16% in Domain 1!) 
    Hi @gdprstudent
    What/how should you have studied to pass in your opinion? 
    Wishing you better luck in the future. 
    edited November 2018

Hi @gdprstudent
    What/how should you have studied to pass in your opinion? 
    Wishing you better luck in the future. 
    Difficult to say really. I read the book, went though the sample questions (which are nowhere near as difficult as the proper test q’s). Maybe it was the scenarios that threw me. When you’ve got the majority of the answers correct it’s difficult to know where you’ve gone wrong!
  • senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ashenwelt said:
    senwar wrote: »
    Thanks - thankfully my 3rd attempt was successful last December. Was glad to finally get through.

I take the CIPT tomorrow. Fingers crossed on that one!

How did it go?
    Sorry - not been on for a while.

I passed CIPT albeit at the second attempt. The exam certainly didn't reflect the course!
    Dan86 said:
    Hi everyone, i am new to this forum.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I sat the CIPP/E exam this morning and unfortunately i failed my first attempt. My scores across the three domains were 75%/65%/75%. I have no idea how close i was to passing but wondered if anyone could help.

Kind regards,

Dan
    Sorry to hear that you failed - with those scores you’d think that would definitely result in a pass! Unfortunately IAPP aren’t very helpful in assisting where you did well/where you went wrong and the scoring confuses me somewhat considerably! Reading some of the advice from others here who passed I think I need to read more about WP29, maybe leave the scenario questions and come back to them at the end but tbh as I don’t know where I went wrong I’m aiming in the dark! Best of luck with your resit (if you do it).
  • ivancamberivancamber Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    Hi all, I passed CIPP/E recently with score of 404/500 and breakdown as follows:

Domain 1- 44%
    Domain 2- 88%
    Domain 3- 91%

I put in about 20 hours prep, basically reading the textbook through once and making notes against the exam blueprint. Didn’t bother with the sample questions as everything I’ve read says they don’t reflect the exam at all. The blueprint tells you the weighting for each section, so make sure you focus on the sections that are worth more points. Domain 2 definitely worth the most, then Domain 3, then Domain 1. 

In the exam itself be prepared for some very long scenario-based questions! Someone on another forum suggested reading the answers before trying to go through the scenario and that certainly worked for me - helps you focus on the key points as you go. Seems like a few of the answers can be right but I think they give you more/less points depending on which answer you choose. So be prepared to apply your knowledge rather than regurgitating rote learning! If you’re new to data protection it might be worth checking out WP29 recommendations and examples given by SAs like the ICO since they’re a bit more practical. 

Hope that is of some help. Good luck to anyone preparing!
    Sammy23 said:
    Hi Campbell,

By any chance would you have additional study materials like those you posted?

Sammy23
    Hi Sammy,

I have read that the online course comes with a summary of 28 pages of the textbook.

Regards
  • anniehgganniehgg Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CIPP/E exam on Friday with a score of 62/67/91.  It was my third attempt.  My first attempt was 55/51/56 and my second attempt was 37/65/83.  

I passed the CIPM exam in April 2018 on the second attempt.  On my first attempt, I thought there was no way I could fail because I did so well on the practice exam.  THE PRACTICE EXAM IS SO MUCH EASIER THAN THE ACTUAL EXAM.  With this is mind, I paid little attention to the CIPP/E practice exam and primarily focused on the book.  What helped me was creating use case examples for each part of the GDPR.  The first domain doesn't matter too much and neither does the third. 

I'm a marketing manager at a privacy tech company and I've only been in this field for 10 months, but this test is HARD.  There's no shame in taking it multiple times.  I have some really good exam outlines so let me know if you want me to share! 

Good luck everyone!