Options

Healthcare IT / Actual IT Career?

westworldwestworld Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, all new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have a option to go with a company one of my cousin works at, which specializes in Health Care IT. It's a vendor base health care emr product. My bro said he may just may be able to get me a interview as a software trainer. From there he said you can move unto project management or BI or whatever the company has opening as longest you can prove yourself.

That is option one. My second option is start working on certs and go into hardcore IT route such as Networking or IT security after years of experience.

I'm currently 35 years old worked in various tech support gig. Nothing too IT but basic vendor tech support gig and looking to venture out.

My next move has to be the right move that will set me up for success.

So the question I have is it worth it to join a health care company or go typical IT route?

Thanks
Nirave

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Typical route is getting some kind of job related to IT. That health IT opportunity certainly sounds like a job related to IT to me. Go for it! You can work on certs while getting work experience at the same time.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with yoba on this one - go for the IT healthcare for some great potential work experience.. along with studying for any certs you want to tackle. Maybe that company will even pay for training and/or study materials if you are lucky?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you want to do westworld?

Healthcare IT is a hot field but software trainer seems very uninteresting to me. Does it pique your interest? Go with your gut on it.

I personally wouldn't take it because I feel I'd want to leave within a few months and it wouldn't get me any closer to my goals. I'd rather spend those months finding a more suitable position.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you say "It's a vendor base health care emr product." Are you talking along the lines of EPIC, Cerner, McKesson etc? The training gig could be a route to a technical job or it could be a way to earn money while you study. Do you have any interviews lined up for networking gigs ATM? Personally, if you can get the training gig start with that. You never know, you might enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, you have a job while you are paying for your certs. Follow your passion but remember, getting there isn't always a straight path. Sometimes you take the opportunity in front of you.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    westworldwestworld Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No interview in progress - Yes, this would be a vendor base gig like epic / mckesson. Some of the friends i had who had join the company have moved on to product management or project. Here is the problem, this job will require me to move out of the state. The starting pay is in 40's.

Right now with my partnership in a business and this tech job I make around 60k. If I leave the states my partner may think about buying me out of a business. The business brings in about 30k a year, this includes me helping my partner out part time. It's a very stable cash flow.

So the question I'm trying to figure out is it worth it financially to take a pay cut join a health care company and hope to grow from it?

I know this is the choice I need to make but I want to hear it from folks who are already in hardcore high paying tech jobs. Is it really hard to climb to high paying with networking or IT security?

Another option is I work on higher certs, go toward networking eventually leading into security making 60 to 70 + my 30k?