Options

Job Searching predicament..

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm 19 and have recently left a temp contract service desk role for various reasons. I quickly came across a temp 2 month gig at a local company assisting with the upgrade of their systems, which I am due to start at the start of November. However, I have just come across a great junior consultant opportunity. I believe this is the dream job for me. However, do you think I should still apply for this permanent role even though I'm due to start this contract role soon? I will finish the contact position late December, and would be available immediately afterwards. Do you think I should still go for it? Any advice would be appreciated, thx.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely 100% apply for the job you want. Don't even hesitate icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    you are overthinking this. go for it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Do you guys think I should still complete the contract position? I haven't signed any contracts yet but was made an offer.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For sure, you didn't get the other job yet. If you get the job you want, just back out of the contract. Its 2 month contract... Not gonna mean at lot to them if you back out and they won't even blink.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm 2 month contract or a perm job. That is a no brainer. The contract would take the back seat. The perm job would help you settle into a role build skills and knowledge and advance. The contract just is that a temp job putting systems on a desk not really moving you forward. Try to always move forward especially if moving forward is a perm. I have had to move lateral to move forward but it was perm to perm. I never move back and I never lateral to a contract.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Contract jobs aren’t guaranteed to last the the length of time you’re told they’ll last. It’s just temp labor with an estimated job duration. If you’re two weeks in and the work is done or the project is canceled, then they’ll just kick you to the curb. I would go after the other position.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you are overthinking this. go for it.

No kidding,.
    lol

Ben1373 wrote: »
    Do you guys think I should still complete the contract position? I haven't signed any contracts yet but was made an offer.

Bwahahahahaha!
    You kids today with your Morals and Misplaced Loyalty ;]

Start the 2-month gig. Have some fun; you might even learn something.
    If the other job actually comes through.... take it :]
  • Options
    Update:
    i have since interviewed and been invited back for a 2nd interview for the permanent position. However, I have been advised the process may take another 1 week or so to conclude and for them to make a decision, in which I will be well into my contract position. My question is, if I were to get this position, would it be ok to leave the contract position, of course giving some degree of notice, to pursue the permanent position?
    I would like to give them notice before I did this as the potential future company is in the same building as the contract position (shared commercial building), so I don't want to leave on bad terms.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the interviews going well. Assuming you get offered and accept the permanent position just let your contracting supervisor know that you're pursuing a better opportunity and thank them for the time/opportunity and maybe apologize for the awkward timing of leaving. Then they'll probably ask you when your last day is or you'll bring that up and you could say that if they'd like for you to stay on for 2 weeks to help in the transition that you'd be happy too. Being it's a contract position they may not retain you that long and might just bring someone else on an let you go.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You won't leave on bad terms if you be up front and send a nice resignation letter. Just don't come in one day and say 'hey, this is my last day' and leave your ids on the desk. I have seen that happen. That is a great way to burn a bridge...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....