Options

Sybex and Cisco Press editions

bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
Well I'm finally getting ready to sit for the CCNA after two some years of waiting. When I first start this trek I picked up Todd Lammle's 4th edition and the Cisco Press books. Now I see that Todd has a 5th edition out.....and my question is will the 4th edition and Cisco Press books be enough? Has enough info been added to warrant a new book purchase?

I'm pretty sure that one of the big updates in the Sybex books is the addtion of NAT (more detail at least) - and I have that update already in PDF. I would just hate to prepare for this and be studing something thats been removed and completely miss something thats been added.

Thanks a ton!

Comments

  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I wouldnt think so...I think the 5th edition sybex just has expanded information on subnetting...You should be fine with the Cisco press book as that covers all the topics in detail..

    Make sure you get the errata update from the Cisco Press website for the cisco books...There are alot of errors.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    squawk1500squawk1500 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bmauro
    I would recommend getting your hands on some routers. I got a 2524 off ebay for less than 25 dollars and it helped a ton on the test.
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    ModemHumper - thanks, I'll make sure to spot by Cisco Press's site to get that. (I've noticed my fair share of errors in both books :D )

    squawk1500 - I completely agree with you on that, and I'm actually one setp ahead of you. Already have (2) 2507, (1) 2611, (1) 2621, (2) 2950, and (1) 1900.

    Once I pass this guy that list will grow quickly!

    Thanks for the input guys.
  • Options
    flexxwilliamsflexxwilliams Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is awesome.... Very helpful since i didn't think of this... Do you know where i can find info on creating a lab i can practice on?
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Doesnt matter which one you get. Remember, the CCNA is about 80% labbing, the remaining 20% should be learning.
    I haven't labbed in a bit and am a bit rusty. This is something you should continue with from time to time after you pass. Don't worry though, once you learned it, a quick review is all you need to get back in the saddle. Labbing is the most important part and will ingrain the concepts into your brain so that it is much harder to forget for the exam and in the real world.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
Sign In or Register to comment.