Network +/A+ Boot Camp

kc0buskc0bus Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was thinking of going to a Network+/A+ Bootcamp. Has anyone here had any experience at a Boot Camp? Are they worthwhile? Good points? Bad points?

Thanks

Comments

• jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I've been to one before and I don't feel it is the right way to go...I admit, I thought it was a good idea at the time, but afterward, I didn't feel like I learned anything, at least not in depth. icon_confused.gif

You get hammered with so much information (putting in 8-10 hour days in class, plus "homework") and I don't feel you really get an understanding of the material, just how to regurgitate it for an exam at the end of the 5 days or however long it is (which, for the record, I did not take the exam there, but waited a month or two because I did not feel comfortable taking it...I hate to fail). Honestly, how much can you really learn about A+ or Network+ in 5 days when it is thrown at you so quickly? Also, don't expect them to slow down and cover something again if you miss it, the whole idea of the boot camp is either you get it or you do not. You would be much better off working at it slowly and actually gaining an understanding of the how's and why's of A+ or Net+ rather than glossing over it just to say you have the certification, because that may be all you can do, say that you have it. If you are put in a situation, you may not know how to go about troubleshooting and there is nothing worse than getting a job somewhere and having your employer find out that you can't do it. icon_sad.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Usually you can buy a lot of books for what a course costs.

Likely they are more for people who have experience but need a fast review, the people I know who have attended have all felt ripped off and under prepared for their exams.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    A+ and Net+ are easy enough to not need a bootcamp. Use your money to buy good books, and maybe a Pc or two, they will help more, and can be used iver and over when needed. Bootcamps are generally a ripoff....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I think your time and money will be better spent just getting a couple books for teh A+ and Net+ exams.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I second the motion........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • jamesisonlinejamesisonline Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i agree with the group. boot camps and the lot usually just take a gob of your money and do little in return for you professionally. you are better off studying the materials using several book sources (amazon reviews are a good way to look before you buy).

there are exam cram books that are labeled as "lab" versions in which it gives the reader exercises to do to get a hands on feel.

if you do go for a community college type prep class, make sure they give you lab time to practice the nuts and bolts for A+/Network+.
    "Adaptation means not clinging to fixed methods, but changing appropriately according to events, acting as is suitable."
    -Zhang Yu