Options

Post Interview advice needed

Hey guys,

I did a interview at a company but after waiting 1 week when I messaged the manager he told me that *I interviewed well,however I am beyond his budget*

Any ideas on what to do next? The above is the exact word for word convo that we had, thats is all he told me.

Comments

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    There is nothing you can do as it sounds like an excuse from the hiring manager.

Sometimes we get our budgets cut before the hiring process completes and sometimes we just get a candidate who is as good/better and willing to take $10k less than you were. Sometimes we are only given a $50k budget when we need a $100k candidate so are forced to see what we can get and hope to get someone who either doesn't realise their worth or is willing to take the job for the experience or to pay the bills for now.

With the salary too low for the role scenario we sometimes have to take the best candidate for the money and demonstrate to our management that the best we can get is just not good enough and they really need to come up with the $100k when the hire leaves for a better salary of just can't cut it working at that level. It sucks all round but sometimes that is the cards you have to play with.

Learn from the experience that life isn't always fair and get back in the game and be better than before - be that $100k candidate and make them want you so bad they will beat their manager up to get that budget.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Nothing you can do. Move on and send out resumes.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tell them to allocate morw of their budget in IR so they are ready for when they have to spend huge amounts of money when things go down.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certifications: A+, CCENT, CCNAR&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNP R&S, BCNE2012, HCNA,I TIL Foundations, BCNP, BAIS,VCA-DCV

There might be your problem :]
    Perhaps it's time to move..
  • Options
    diffiediffie Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where there ever any discussions about salary? Did the job give a range?

IMHO it's fair to ask him, at what salary he could bring you in at.

If that's a serious comment from the employer, he's making a decision for you which he shouldn't.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tell him if he takes a salary cut, your sure he can afford you. icon_lol.gif
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Supply and Demand.

Desperately looking for a job to pay the bills? Only job offer available? Willing to take a pay cut? Or just exploring options?
  • Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    diffie wrote: »
    Where there ever any discussions about salary? Did the job give a range?

IMHO it's fair to ask him, at what salary he could bring you in at.

If that's a serious comment from the employer, he's making a decision for you which he shouldn't.

When it came to salary I was told to just call a number...

Monday I should have more info from their company
  • Options
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Supply and Demand.

Desperately looking for a job to pay the bills? Only job offer available? Willing to take a pay cut? Or just exploring options?

Just exploring options. I just want to get back into my IP networking rather than ISP stuff.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How's the job market/economy in Trinidad?

Not trying to antagonize.... just curious :]
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    How's the job market/economy in Trinidad?

Not trying to antagonize.... just curious :]

Very bad lol
  • Options
    techie2018techie2018 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fadakartel wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I did a interview at a company but after waiting 1 week when I messaged the manager he told me that *I interviewed well,however I am beyond his budget*

Any ideas on what to do next? The above is the exact word for word convo that we had, thats is all he told me.

If I were you I would be kind of upset. Salary should of been discussed with HR BEFORE you even went to the interview. They wasted your time.
  • Options
    techie2018 wrote: »
    If I were you I would be kind of upset. Salary should of been discussed with HR BEFORE you even went to the interview. They wasted your time.

I know right, it`s like I asked whats their average and they told me to just call a number SIGH.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did they tell you the budget/range of the position before hand? I would ask for that first before going on an interview that way no one waste anyone's time. I would never give out the first number and I've had some sneaky employers tried that. It's there position so they ought to tell me the budget; it's like me ordering a pizza at the store than them asking me what do you expect to pay for this pizza? No it's your pizza, you tell me how much it is.