Options

What to do, what to do!!¿¿

Noodles88Noodles88 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello people, i would sure appreciate some little info and help from you right now.

Story goes like this....i was lucky enough to have great supportive parents, from age 14 to age 27 i lived alone with a monthly allowance so i can finish college. Problem is i mostly played games and watched a lot of movies but i also finished a college and got a Master´s Degree too in Environmental Science which i found out 98% of the jobs within this field require driving licence.
So a went Spain to work 1 year with a friend, got some money and went London.

I´ve always liked computers and IT. I used to create small networks for my neighbours and share internet. I am good with troubleshooting all sorts of software problems and some hardware problems (long live google) i mean i am not totally oblivious but i know in the face of officialities they are zero, so....please bare with me.

I´ve been searching in London all sorts of apprenticeships and traineeships and internships, i was even thinking doing foundation years to some how get CCNA with some sort of loan help, college loan...etc but that´s a bit tricky, so i went online and saw from 400 pounds to 5000 pounds, same certificates. (i put CCNA because a friend of mine did the same thing, and based on what he said it felt right to my ears, he paid 1500 and did class training for about half a year).

I want to know if that´s what i should do or start lower and what´s a good pick in terms of lenght and if you know some offers or places where it would be better to do them, don´t want to do it online,i want hands on practial stuff. Just that the prices awkwardly range so much it feels like scam at some sites.

Thank you!!

P.s- the reason i was looking for loans and kinda less money courses is because i have 2 months left of rent and food :)) yes,i know...welcome in the mind of a procrastinator :-<

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why didn't you get a driving license?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yoba222 wrote: »

Lmao! Thats hilarious.

Past few weeks, theres so many people joining this forum with no idea what they want and are waiting for others to tell them what they should be going for.

Personally I think you should go to learn English first.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yoba222 wrote: »

Right. He got a Master's degree but passing a driving test was holding him back from positions in his field? WHAT?!?

But really, go look at the skills and certs at the jobs you want are asking for and go get those. Don't overthink it. Just gotta put in the time.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You put one foot in front of the other and GO. Take a bus! Ride the metro! No one else can do that for you. Also, please learn how to write a paragraph correctly.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    But like at one point ..which apparently you've all missed it, i was trying to get some bearings on the 400 to 5000 price range for CCNA course but thank god my driving licence was the big issue which you couldn't wrap your heads around, that an my appaling english. GG!!

I realised that i was in an awkward mood perhaps, laying it all out like that but i think this was a networking, it, etc forum, on the general certifications thread, intriguing.

P.s i have a pilot licence but cars...i hate them, so we can get that huge wall out of the way and maybe i can get some info about maybe a London based good training companies, please!
    Thank you!
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally despise driving in traffic. So I don't drive. I live a 30 minute walk from my job. But it took me 5 years of living with driving in traffic while I built up my experience and certs and earned a degree.

I think the reason why some have focused on the driving topic is because they are perplexed by a person who expended tens of thousands on a university degree and then is squandering away that opportunity due to something as trivial as a driver's license. What's the point in discussing something that costs a few hundred?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Not to mention all the time... I don't think I'll get passed it
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're looking for training companies in the UK, I would suggest Global Knowledge or (my personal choice) Firebrand Training.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    I am just focused on paragraphs and grammar. You can take the bus, bike or walk to work...
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To answer your question about the CCNA, the price will vary a LOT between vendors as will the training quality. If your friend got his, ask him where he went. It is still considered an entry level certification for those that want to go in to networking and support. Remember on the money side that libraries are free and books are cheap from stores. A lot of people on here self-study without courses at all, CCNA is one of those things if you're already comfortable with setting up some virtualization and following along from the book.

I'd also suggest reading through a book about any topic prior to going to a bootcamp type of course. It's helpful to go in with a decent understanding of what's going on. If you have no work experience or professional level knowledge go to a library and find a book on Network+ certification. It doesn't have to be the most up to date, any course you take will likely include a good CCNA book, but the N+ will give you a decent base prior to the course.

For comparison of different types of programs, you'll find anything from semester long programs at community colleges or technical training schools (or their UK equivalent) that will provide physical hardware, books, and instructors a few nights a week down to week long boot camps where an instructor will try to teach you everything in the book in a week and you might have access to virtual labs for configuring the networks. Your learning style is almost as important as the course cost.
  • Options
    someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't take out a loan for anything, especially for a CCNA course, £5000 can buy a lot of actual hardware to use.

You need to learn how to self study first

There are plenty of free resources online, I would suggest you start going through the free A+, Network+ and Security+ videos from professor Messer https://www.professormesser.com/ first. You dont need to do the exams.

After that you can look at signing up with Pluralsight, CBT nuggets or any other online provider.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I hear, getting your drivers license in Europe is VERY difficult, NOTHING like US driving tests. Perhaps the US should adopt the Euro driving exams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlG387VRg4
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    LOL ^ I agree with that.

Also, I went to Italy this last year and the driving there was insane! If the rest of Europe is anything like that I wouldn't want to drive over there either.
  • Options
    Thank you all, i mean all of you really, good insights about licences and grammar is always helpful and everything else for that matter.

Yeah, i know Europe drivers licences are hard but I guess if one needs it or wants it i don't see what would stop him/her from getting it. I'm just in such a weird conundrum that i cannot think of the drivers licence at this moment, i have 1 month of money left, i think i will have to get a standard job to keep afloat and then see but really am passionate about these things and want to learn and do them, i also like the environment, perhaps in the future i can mix them both.

Ok, so in the meantime i went to a seminar at a local IT training company.
    Price is around 5000 but they also guarantee a job placement so i guess some of the price is justified, i have no idea.
    I think i will start to self-study a bit(thank you for links) but then is there a place where i can pay just for the exams? And then to gather experience i will have to search for volunteer work or something, because many offers come with a minimum of experience and I'm thinking an IT training company might be able to provide that while i am doing the learning, no?

This is a weird question for all of you but if you don't mind and you're ok with it, can you write down what was your first job?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    In IT, I was a Data Management Assistant and there was a need for a network administrator for our lab. I jumped at the chance to do that.