Options

Better MSIA than Regis?

AlypiusAlypius Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in my third class in Regis' MSIA and I'm concerned because the workload is not what I consider rigorous, at least compared to my previous graduate work. My weekly homework consisted of reading about 100 pages to prepare for Socratic discussion/public humiliation with several papers thrown in throughout the quarter for good measure. The papers were graded almost exclusively on content with points deducted only for the most egregious formatting/citation errors. Regis' coursework, meanwhile, is the exact opposite: little more than softball questions ("Can a graphical user interface have more security implications compared to Command Line Interface?") graded solely on the number of forum posts. Papers are returned with at most two sentences of commentary, both of which are formatting critiques.

The fields are very different--political science vs info ass--but I would think that graduate course work would be a bit more rigorous. My question really boils down to "is this the norm for IT/IA degrees?" I'm fully prepared to seek out my own education and certificates, but I'm having a hard time spending $2k a class that is little more than a series of links to YouTube videos (none of which are produced by the university) and a $50 Security+ study guide for a textbook.

I'm happy to be wrong; if MSIA coursework is only supposed to be a check in the box while doing independent study for certs, fine. This will be a second career for me and I don't know what I don't know; the workload just seems awfully light.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Information Assurance definitely has an emphasis on the high level aspects of directing the enterprise at a strategic level, not necessarily at the low/operational level such as actually coding for a GUI. A lot of the course work is research based vs a more “traditional” test you on every subject that you will forget. Honestly, the ability to research and put your thoughts in writing is a very valuable skill you can take with you and is part of the equation....the other part is getting your technical qualifications from certifications (industry known such as security+). There isn’t going to be one program that just has it all...there are higher level programs made for management which more diverse backgrounds can survive or thrive, and very technical computer science type programs which are generally suited for people with that kind of background.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When did you last perform graduate level work? If you said the 90s or before your in for a rude awakening. Today grad studies look more akin to an extended high school experience than what was once demanded of students.

Gotta complete for those student dollars any way they can.

- b/eads
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just push through and get the degree. The price sucks but it stays on your resume for life when it's done.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    That's a good perspective, thanks! I think I'll stick with the program for the MS and study up for the certs for the technical knowledge.
  • Options
    Heh, I graduated last December. It was a full-time B&M school so that might have something to do with the workload.
  • Options
    Alypius wrote: »
    Heh, I graduated last December. It was a full-time B&M school so that might have something to do with the workload.
    From your undergrad? Also if you aren’t working that could make it seem like a light load versus working 40-50 hours per week...it’s really geared towards the working professional instead of the full time student as far as workload goes.

The program at Regis has been around a while too so I would put more faith in it than a lot of the other programs...especially anything that has popped up in the last year or two with a limited track record.
  • Options
    No, got my MA last December. You're right, though, I forgot that a lot of these programs are designed for people working full-time.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    get your butt to University of Denver's Information Systems Security Masters.

Had my eyes on that or their Telecommunications Technology Masters.

no GRE req and its higher ranked. bigger and cheaper. Its from their University College meant for working adults. Same degree.

I am sure youve seen the advertisements all over RTD buses lately.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    University of Denver and cheap don’t go together. If that degree is anything like their Cyber degree...it’s $31k if you have a CS background or $42k without...definitely not the same or cheaper cost.

As long as you go to an NSA accredited program, you will get exposure to the same curriculum. I know UCCS has a pretty good program too but seemed like it was heavy in engineering.

Main point is there isn’t really any major benefit to changing...just crush the courses, and get certifications concurrently.

Side question...what exactly did you get your MA in? I hope you aren’t just learning to learn because a lot of Masters degrees or degrees in general aren’t going to pay the bills without working.
  • Options
    The NSA cert is the one thing I was told to look for, so I'll stick around and get the certs. My MA is in political science from the Naval Postgraduate School. I didn't get to choose because it was an assignment but I did get to take a couple of IA courses that cemented what I want to do when I grow up. I'm still active duty and using my GI Bill for Regis, so paying bills isn't an issue.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Regis is a bit more costlier but I get your point.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Regis is a bit more costlier but I get your point.
    $2k per class at 36 credits or 12 classes doesn’t sound costlier to me (~$24k) but to be fair I don’t have a math degree.