PhD - Information Security and Information Assurance: Update

TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey TE!

It's been a few months since I've last posted, and I just wanted to share my experience so far with Capella's PhD in Information Security and Information Assurance Program.

I'm a little more than halfway through my first term, and I'm taking the following classes:

BMG7086: Developing an Academic Writing Process
TS8005: Research Processes, Theory and Practice in Information Technology

So far the experience has been fantastic. Although the iGuide format utilized by Capella differs quite a bit from WGU's online navigation, it hasn't been overly difficult to use. The professor's are extremely knowledgeable and make themselves readily available with decent office hours. I've also found the camaraderie between students to be beneficial was well.

As for the classes...they are difficult, and I mean really difficult. As expected, the PhD Program goes something like this...Research, Research, More Research, Writing, Writing and More Writing! icon_wink.gif That being said, the rigors and challenges of these courses is exactly what I expect from a PhD program.

I'll try to come back to this thread often and update it as I progress. Additionally, if anyone has any questions about the PhD program...feel free to post here or PM me.

Thanks!

Techguy215
* Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
* Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
* Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration

Comments

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck and kick butt!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello all.

As promised, here's an update:

I've completed my first term (Fall 2017) in the PhD ISIA Program at Capella.

Courses and Results:

Course: BMG7086: Developing an Academic Writing Process Grade: 99.02 Letter Grade: A GPA: 4.0 Credits Earned: 4
    Course: TS8005: Research Processes, Theory and Practice in Information Technology Grade: 98.06 Letter Grade: A GPA: 4.0 Credits Earned: 6

I'm already enrolled for the Winter 2018 Term (Starts Jan 8th) and will be taking the following courses:

TS8531: Network Security Advances; Credits: 4
    TS8533: Enterprise Security Risk Management; Credits: 4
    BMGT8030: Management Theory Creation; Credits: 4

Again, I'll try and update this thread mid-winter term, and again when the term ends.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on getting through the first term. What was the work like that you did for those two classes?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Man the degrees that these "Schools" are putting out these days...... They recently hired a guy here with an associates in infosec who didn't know what AD meant.....

I've lost all hope for these online universities.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What? This is not exclusive of online universities. I had an employee from a b&m university who completed an undergrad in Infosec and had no idea what CIA was. I can cite many more first hand examples that have nothing to do with online universities.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It goes to the old joke:

"What do you call a person who gets all Cs in medical school?"

"Doctor."

My experience has been that people have a tremendous capacity for being disappointing without regard for their background. Some people just suck.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    What? This is not exclusive of online universities. I had an employee from a b&m university who completed an undergrad in Infosec and had no idea what CIA was. I can cite many more first hand examples that have nothing to do with online universities.
    Very true, I posted here before how I interviewed a whole pile of recent grads from a local, very well known and respected state B&M university who all went through their risk and security program. Not a single one could even talk about basics or the things they had listed on their resume. I've been more impressed by random 15 year olds at BSides events.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

True, I guess I should have worded my post a little better. I singled out online universities because they are pumping out way more of these types of degrees than B&M schools it seems.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jibtech wrote: »
    It goes to the old joke: "What do you call a person who gets all Cs in medical school?"

"Doctor."

This will probably offend some people. I've always heard it as:

"What do you call a person who gets all As in medical school?"
    "Doctor"

"What do you call a person who gets all Cs in medical school?"
    "Lieutenant Commander"
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome work! Going after a PhD in info sec sounds awesome, challenging, and tiring...best of luck and looking forward to more responses!
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    McxRisley wrote: »
    Man the degrees that these "Schools" are putting out these days...... They recently hired a guy here with an associates in infosec who didn't know what AD meant.....

I've lost all hope for these online universities.

+1

WGU had been removed from my linkedin and resume......

It was hurting more than helping.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    +1

icon_lol.gif

Interesting.....
    All,

Both WGU and Capella are Regionally Accredited Universities. This means that they hold the same weight as a B&M, public or private University.

Those that work full-time do not have the ability to attend a B&M, and online learning is their only option...which reflects my situation.

I've worked at several Fortune 200 companies, as both an engineer and a manager and I've never had any negative feedback on the schools that I have attended.

I'd also mention that those who are suggesting that people who obtain degrees know "nothing" about the field is subjective. I've been in the field for over 15 years and had a plethora of knowledge before pursuing my degrees. Of course, there are people that pursue the degrees without any knowledge and make there way into the work force. But the same can be said for certifications...I've known people with CCNPs, CISSPs, Etc. who couldn't answer the most basic questions regarding InfoSec.

Personally, these degrees have helped me advance in my career. You're not going to reach an executive level position with a HS Diploma/GED.

Ultimately, I like to challenge myself and enjoy continuous learning....Just my two cents.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1

I find this hard to believe.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My situation is a little different. I have a BS from a regional brick and mortar located in the same state I am employed. It's well know, it's one of the big state schools. I felt the MBA from WGU was actually hurting me, it was bringing up weird questions and to be honest the Pass/Fail model is bizarre. There is something wrong when you graduate and you have a 3.0 out of a 4.0. Strange.......

The correspondence model just wasn't for me.

I'm not taking shots at people with it, it's just not for me. I've removed it and feel I am getting more opportunities because of it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Correspondence model? Are you working for the Office of Inspector General?
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    My situation is a little different. I have a BS from a regional brick and mortar located in the same state I am employed. It's well know, it's one of the big state schools. I felt the MBA from WGU was actually hurting me, it was bringing up weird questions and to be honest the Pass/Fail model is bizarre. There is something wrong when you graduate and you have a 3.0 out of a 4.0. Strange.......

The correspondence model just wasn't for me.

I'm not taking shots at people with it, it's just not for me. I've removed it and feel I am getting more opportunities because of it.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

After I stopped laughing I thought about something. To be honest and semi-neutral.. The university I attend you have to maintain a B to pass a course in grad school. So, technically my school, which starts with University has the same requirements as a school that starts with Western. So, not much difference just comparing my school and WGU. So, the argument regarding the grading is kind of null. That is just comparing the two schools.

You don't think the MBA has anything to do with it?

To be honest, I have in the past considered WGU.
    Hello all.

As promised, here's an update:

I've completed my second term ( Winter 2018 ) in the PhD ISIA Program at Capella.

Courses and Results:

Course: BMGT8030: Management Theory Creation; Grade: 100.00 Letter Grade: A GPA: 4.0 Credits Earned: 4
    Course: TS8531: Network Security Advances; Grade: 96.86 Letter Grade: A GPA: 4.0 Credits Earned: 4
    Course: TS8533: Enterprise Security Risk Management; Grade: 97.54 Letter Grade: A Credits Earned: 4

Total Courses Completed:
    BMGT7086: Developing an Academic Writing Process Grade: A
    TS8005: Research Processes, Theory and Practice in Information Technology Grade: A
    BMGT8030: Management Theory Creation Grade: A
    TS8531: Network Security Advances Grade: A
    TS8533: Enterprise Security Risk Management Grade: A

Total Credits Earned:

Cumulative GPA:

I'm already enrolled for the Spring Term (Starts April 8th) and will be taking the following courses:

BMGTR8925: PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 1: 3 Credits
    BMGT8216: Innovating IT Life Cycle Management: 4 Credits
    BMGT8218: Advancing Research in IT Management: 4 Credits

Again, I'll try and update this thread when the Spring term ends.

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey TechGuy!

Congrats on another semester completed. Thanks for keeping us posted. Are you planning on going into academia once you complete the program, or do you just want to be able to do research and make a contribution to the field?
    Cuse0311,

Thanks for the congrats!

The answer to your question is yes, I do plan to enter academia one day.

I know one day I'll eventually tire of the commute, office politics, and corporate environment. As a result, I figured I'd pursue the PhD now, perhaps do some adjunct instructional work, and then when I get close to retirement I'll pursue a full-time professor position.