Options

TS Printer Redirection

Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am having a problem getting a printer to redirect through Terminal Services. The user is in a remote office and uses a terminal server at corporate on Windows Server 2003. The printer is connected to the users computer locally via USB. I have loaded the drivers on the Terminal Server and the printer is being mapped when they log on and shows as an available printer.

The Problem:
When they send a print to the printer I have watched it spool and then what appears to happen is it is sent to the printer. (The document leaves the print queue.) However the user says that nothing is ever printed.

That problem still exists, but there's more:
I asked the user to log off and back on and found that every time the user logs back on, another printer is created.(ie. if they logon 3 times then 3 printers are being created....logon 6 times 6 printers ...etc.)

I have checked the event log and no errors are being reported. I have tried to print to the printer myself after the user logs on and same thing happens....the print spools and then leaves the print queue but nothing ever prints. icon_twisted.gif

No other Terminal Server user is having this problem and all Terminal Server Users are in the same OU with the same GP.

I am really leaning to it being a driver issue. But what mostly doesn't make since is the print spooling and then leaving the queue as if it printed.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any suggestions or resolutions.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Silver Bullet - that's just plain weird. Did you try gpupdate? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Silver Bullet - that's just plain weird. Did you try gpupdate? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Or
    secedit /refreshpolicy if you get "gpupdate is not recognized as an internal or external command"...
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

On a site note...

What happens when you share the local printer on the workstation, and print to it from Terminal Services using TCP printing (this should work if the permissions on the share are set correct)
    It can be a real pain to access USB devices from TS.

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Hey Silver Bullet I had the same problem with a USB printer that I was trying to redirect for a customer. I found a fix for this problem in a KB article. I hope it helps you also.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
  • Options
    @ Silver Bullet

Just being curious

Where you able to solve this ?

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    I am going to try the KB article that netteaser posted..... this is an All-In-One device that I am having problems with and that article addresses that.

But to answer your question....I have not yet?
  • Options
    I am going to try the KB article that netteaser posted..... this is an All-In-One device that I am having problems with and that article addresses that.

But to answer your question....I have not yet?

No prob.
    Just being curious...
    :D:D
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    Any update on fixing the problem?
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    In my experiences with these, almost all All-in-one printers do not support terminal server printer redirection. It is not a problem with MS, but the manufacturer's print drivers. I have a lot of customers that have this situation and what I did to get around it was create a network share for the printer and mapped the printer through the network (because TS printer redirection supports printers that are mapped through the network on the client computer)...or....install a jet direct device that allows the printer to become a networked printer and install the printer on the terminal server using TCP/IP. While this works great in most offices, it does not work very effectively for someone working from home and want to print to their personal printer.
  • Options
    If you are still having problems let me know I have another solution for you.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Any updates on this issue??

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)