Options

Passed Security+ Today!

mkjoungmkjoung Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Got 813/850.

I studied for about 3 months using Gibson's book and professor messer's videos online. But honestly, you just need Gibson's book - but make sure you know all the details from the book. And the last week before the exam I did a lot of practice questions. That helped a lot.

So now I'm not too sure which career path I want to take. Eventually, I want to take the OSCP, to become a pentester. Which cert should I go for next? I want to get 1 more cert that will really help me prepare for the OSCP and then take the OSCP. Also, I will be applying to jobs soon - should I apply more for security analyst positions or sysadmin positions? I would think if I want to do security analyst work then take CEH or CASP? And if I want to do sysadmin stuff then MCSE? Currently right now I work in a very Microsoft-heavy environment but do I need to start changing direction to linux environments if I eventually want to become a pentester (especially to obtain OSCP)? Please help!

Comments

• Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm studying for my Security+ right now along with the CEH. Just my opinion, but I believe I would value the CASP over the CEH as in my studies, it seems to overwhelm you with outdated tools that nobody really uses anymore. I don't believe there's a real need to change jobs just to get exposure to Linux environments if you already have a job. I believe if you do some studying on the side you can make use of Kali Linux to penetrate prepared virtual machines from places like VulnHub and that should provide you with enough fluency in Linux to prepare you for the OSCP training course.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE