Options

Worth it to pursue CCIE ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    dppagc wrote: »
    The oxymoron is that no experience = no job.

That's inaccurate. At my work we have hired guys with a ten year gap in IT work, no certs. We have hired guys with no experience, and a CCNA. We even hired a CCIE R&S, without any experience.

Just get out, and apply.
  • Options
    dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    What is job title for ccie RNs guy? Network architect?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It kinda depends on your overall skill level. I have a CCIE who works for me as a Senior Voice engineer now and I'm the Voice architect. He's much more technical than me as far as the technology, but I have the business skills which allows me to speak to the C level about the pro's and con's of the technology and how it affects the business.

Some CCIE's want to start purely technical where they will work on very hard integrations and challenges. Others move into presales as they have a deep understanding of the technology and combined with some business they can do well for themselves.

It just depends on what your goals are. I can safely say that if getting if money is your motivation for getting a CCIE, I'll say there are easier ways to get there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    It kinda depends on your overall skill level. I have a CCIE who works for me as a Senior Voice engineer now and I'm the Voice architect. He's much more technical than me as far as the technology, but I have the business skills which allows me to speak to the C level about the pro's and con's of the technology and how it affects the business. .

Will you pursue the CCIE, or are you content?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm kinda interested in the new CCIE, but we'll have to see. I started coding a few years ago and I enjoy that more. I like making apps more than just using tech. I can make an app that I can charge 50 bucks a month to use.

Edit to add on to convo

I do want to add on having a background in networking has tremendously helped my programming so far. The way I approach coding is so completely different from the avg coder. When I build apps I think about latency having my boxes spread out and security as far as what has access to my boxes. So having a good understanding of networking helps out in a lot of areas of IT.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    I will say my goal is be presales or project manager. I don't want to be technical or getting a heart attack when I get old
  • Options
    This is funny. I am using Hotmail to email micronics and ine. They don't seem to be replying.

Any idea if they have email filter or something?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    This is funny. I am using Hotmail to email micronics and ine. They don't seem to be replying.

Any idea if they have email filter or something?

Hotmail still exists?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Usually you buy workbooks like INE, Micronics, Cisco 360, etc.

Any reviews for the workbook of these 3 organisations?
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Is it possible to pursue CCIE without rack rental?
    EVE-NG is the answer.
    In my experience, i bought the hardwares. Its the best thing ive ever done since i can lab whenever i want.
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    EVE-NG is the answer.
    In my experience, i bought the hardwares. Its the best thing ive ever done since i can lab whenever i want.

If the emulator is good, why purchase the hardware?
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very possible that he bought the hardware before labbing virtual was at a point that it emulates the real thing.
    If the emulator is good, why purchase the hardware?
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its funny to think that I feel like I'm on a plateau (or in a rut), but after 2 years as a ccnp, and 1 year in my current engineering position, I look forward to CCIE training to break out of my daily tasks and spend more time with other technologies/protocols.