Offered 12 month contract

vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently in a permanent position working with all Windows servers. I was just offered a 12 month contract working mostly with Linux and a new firewall rollout. The contract sounds like it has a great chance to turn to full time, but of course no promises can be made. Also, the shift will be 4pm-midnight, which I know my wife/kids are not going to like. There will be some flexibility and some ability to work from home though.

Linux is really what I've been trying to get into the past few years. The job is also a 30k increase. Would you guys take it or stay in the current role? Of course I have to talk it over with my wife.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Me? I'd stay put. You will never have a chance to go back in time you have with your kids. It goes by fast.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Me? I'd stay put. You will never have a chance to go back in time you have with your kids. It goes by fast.

I'm in this boat as well. Can't put a price on time with family. You live once, want to spend it making more money or spending more time family. Only way I would consider it is if my family really needed to have the extra income.
  • vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could definitely use the extra income. Plus, I would have all day with my kids. Though my wife and I would really have to make time for ourselves. Not that we have much of that any way with 2 little kids.
    ..hmm..so they are not in school? You do have the flexibility to work from home... The next issue is..what happens after a year? You'd have to find a new job if they don't offer you an extension. What about insurance etc?
    I'm on my wife's insurance, so that is not a problem. My thought is, this will get me the experience I've been looking for to land the position I want. I'm prepared to have to look for another job at the end of the 12 months.

The shift does concern me, but I know it won't be forever. It's something I really need to think about.
    well, then time with the wife will suffer more. However, in the end, it is your decision.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why are you asking us?
    :]

It sounds like a nice opportunity to work with technology you've been trying to Expand into.

Get the wife's approval, then go for it!
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will have to be planning your next move from the day you start - if that sits well, then go for it if you want to work with that technology going forward. The perfect opportunity probably won't fall in your lap.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you prepared to find another job after six months if the 12 month contract ends early?
    I'm definitely prepared to have to find a new job sooner than the 12 months, although I am optimistic about being hired on after the contract based on some of the things we've talked about.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What aligns with your goals? That's what you should do.
    The contract position does. I just have to make sure everything will be good for the wife and kids too.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never ever EVER leave something permanent for something temporary.......

You can learn on your own while having that security. You have a family and kids to think about. Plus if you really want to learn Linux.... put Linux on a computer and learn it that way. Yes the extra money is good, but your sacrificing time with family that you will never get back... You have to decide what is important More money, or time with family.

If I was in the position I would stay put and look at the company I was at for different opportunities. Did you try that first?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are going to take this temp gig, you should make sure you get a Linux certificate out of it, preferably a Red Hat one.

So, start firing up the VMs and install Linux. I recommend Arch Linux since it forces you to install and manage Linux using the command-line.
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I think you should take the job. Your already good with Windows Servers, this is a chance at gaining a new skill set. Being good at both Linux and Windows I think would open up doors for you in the long run. If it's what you really wanted to get into last few years, why not follow your heart and at least try it.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Going from perm to contract is always a risk and that risk needs to be compensated for. Everyone has a different risk tolerance but part of that 30k is for the uncertainty, just like a different job working the midnight shift might offer more for the inconvenience.

The biggest question is how is your emergency fund? If the position goes *poof*, how long can you make due while looking for a new job? And the corollary to that is, how is the market in your area? You don't need a large emergency fund if that market is hot.
    @ITSpectre - there are no other oppotunities at my current place. There's only 2 of us and most of the new projects come my way already.

@jdancer - I'm already studying for the RHCSA, so I plan to have that in a few months. I may hold off on looking for a new position until then.

I appreciate the advice and different perspectives. If the contract ended sooner, I don't think I'd have a problem getting another job. The market has been pretty solid for me at least.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Never ever EVER leave something permanent for something temporary.......

Have to Disagree.

True enough, OP could take your advice and pass on this opportunity.
    Thats fine.

But what happens next month if OP got randomly LAIDOFF from his "permanent" job??

See my point here?
    There is NO such thing as a permanent job.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just to put it into perspective, I did contracts in 2015 -- no employer sponsored health coverage. I ended up paying 26K for medical expenses for a family of 4. My plan was crap and premiums were ~$1200/month. I say 30K isn't enough for me to jump the FTE position if the bennies are good and the employer pays for 70-90% of the premiums. If your bennies are crap that's another story.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Have to Disagree.

True enough, OP could take your advice and pass on this opportunity.
    Thats fine.

But what happens next month if OP got randomly LAIDOFF from his "permanent" job??

See my point here?
    There is NO such thing as a permanent job.

That's how I feel as well. Especially working in an "at-will" state.

Anyway, I talked to the project manager more and it doesn't sound like the shift will always be 4-midnight. He said there is a ton of work and there is a lot of flexibility. Also, he sees it going more remote, so I should be able to work from home. The wife is onboard with it as long as it's not longer than 12 months. Bottom line, I'm going to take it. It aligns with my goals, and the money will be a huge help right now. I think that outweighs the challenges/changes with family life. It's not going to be forever.
    Just to put it into perspective, I did contracts in 2015 -- no employer sponsored health coverage. I ended up paying 26K for medical expenses for a family of 4. My plan was crap and premiums were ~$1200/month. I say 30K isn't enough for me to jump the FTE position if the bennies are good and the employer pays for 70-90% of the premiums. If your bennies are crap that's another story.

Benefits are really bad where I am currently. I'm on my wife's insurance, so that's not a problem for me now.
    Well, then go for it.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've done it a couple of times (with a large family). Nothing worse than being stuck in a safety rut with no options for advancement.

You just need to have a plan (with secondary and tertiary backups) and work your butt off to get the value out of it.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe