Options

Bootcamp question

TremblelinaTremblelina Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone here have experience with bootcamps ? Any recommendations, reviews for or against ?

To help put it in perspective, I have experience (over 4 years), but everytime I attempt self study I manage to get about halfway through the topics and then end up letting life get in the way. I have trouble with self discipline for home study and need structure. At this point though, I do not want to take a year or more with classes, so even though the prices are offensive, i'm considering a bootcamp to get it done already heh.

I appreciate any feedback, TIA

Comments

• Options
    Ok, so no one believes in bootcamps for ccna then ?
  • Options
    mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need discipline young padawan.

(Sorry I just had to say that)

Honestly I cant refer you to any bootcamps. But I do know you can do study on your own for mm 0 bucks. But you already know that.

I have a wife and a new baby at home and full time worker. And it took me 5 weeks to study and pass the CCNA on my first try. So it can be done. You just have to stick with it.

As for a bootcamp again I dunno. I just wanted to give you those words above.

Good luck!
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are good bootcamps and there are bad bootcamps.

A lot of the good bootcamps exist for companies that still have training budgets to reward experienced employees who already have a lot of the skills but not the certification.

A good bootcamp has pre-reqs to get in..... and suggested reading.... 'cause once it starts, its going to be fast and furious and they can't slow down to pick up stragglers. It could work for someone with the experience and the knowledge, but not the time to study on their own (e.g., new kid at home). It is a focused dedicated environment away from the distractions of work and home. It could also be helpful (and expensive) for someone who tried self-study but can't get past 800 no matter how many times they re-read the books over and over and over....

The bad bookcamps ..... they teach from **** and are for people who are too stupid to even **** on their own, but somehow have a bunch of money to spend.

Oh -- and if the bootcamp has "student loans" involved to pay for it -- RUN! RUN AWAY! If it is posted as a "job" -- but you "pay" for training to get "internships" or "great jobs" -- RUN! RUN AWAY!

A bootcamp for someone who is just starting out and has no clue about networking -- worthless.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Sorry Mike I disagree. One question I ask during interviews for an entry level position is how they preped for the exams. If a boot camp course is the answer I already know they are likely to get our questions wrong and I have yet to be proved wrong. Those people fail miserably on technical questions.

Just my professional opinion after some number of years of experience. My advice continues to be, stay away from boot camps if you want to be successful.

Can you get a job based on a cert alone? Ya, sure you can, but the network you end up supporting will be a mess and you aren't likely to notice...only the customers do.

Yankee
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yankee wrote:
    Sorry Mike I disagree. One question I ask during interviews for an entry level position is how they preped for the exams. If a boot camp course is the answer I already know they are likely to get our questions wrong and I have yet to be proved wrong. Those people fail miserably on technical questions.

I'm sorry -- did I post a double negative? I don't see it?!?
    mikej412 wrote:
    A bootcamp for someone who is just starting out and has no clue about networking -- worthless.

So you'd hire an idiot who knows nothing but didn't go to a bootcamp over someone who can answer the technical questions but did also go to a bootcamp?

Usually I just get to ask the technical questions and leave the small talk to the recruiters.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I can recommend American Interactive - from experience.

http://www.americaninteractive.com/

I'd advise not to listen to those who say that bootcamps can't be a valuable learning tool. A bootcamp is just another learning tool - it can be used sensibly or foolishly. It can be a particularly powerful and beneficial tool - if chosen wisely and used sensibly in your career path. You don't want to encounter much material for the first time in a bootcamp. If you already have experience and/or study for most areas of your certification study, a bootcamp can provide a great way to focus your studies so you sail past the exam.

This particular camp is managed by about 4 people - thus, very little overhead. Their Cisco trainer is highly experienced, writes the course material himself - they will give you a 2nd voucher for any exams not passed on the first attempt - along with other perks.

They also have excellent prices - and it should be needless to say - I get no perks for reviewing them positively.

Make up your own mind :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replys fellas. I appreciate all the different opinions, and agree that someone with no experience or very little that goes to a bootcamp and manages to pass is not going to make a very good tech. I also agree though that it can be a useful (though expensive!!!) tool for those with experience already. To the poster that had a positive experience, thanks for the reference.

I'm studying on my own again. It's so frustrating because I know I can do this, I have just not been disciplined enough with myself in the past. I do have enough free time to study effectively, and think in all likelyhood it would probably not take more than a few months to be fully prepared.

Basically, I just need to get over myself and put my nose to the grindstone so to speak.

Thanks again for replying. I think if I continue on the cisco certification path, bootcamps may come in handy for different things, but since I know I am capable, I think I cannot justify the expense for CCNA. I was just trying to save time hehe.