Options

Noob internship question

NoNameNoobNoNameNoob Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently work full time in a noc on 3rd shift. I started studying for some certs and enrolled in WGU this year. I saw a few postings by Lockheed Martin for part time cyber security interns for next summer. Are internships in general only looking for non experienced college students? Do you think it would be worthwhile applying for these if I had an interest in government contracting down the road? I have a bit of flexibility and my off days at my current job, are during the week. I'm giving some thought into applying. Do you think it would be worth it? Here's the posting: https://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com/ShowJob/Id/95427/Information-Assurance-Cyber-Security-Intern/

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm under the impression that internships are generally for non-experienced college students. I also know beyond a doubt that there is absolutely no way you will get that internship if you DON'T apply. I could see myself pulling off something like this in your shoes.There's probably a better way to get into DoD infosec and this looks like an opportunity as well, though at a sacrifice. I don't see the word "paid" so you'd probably be working for free. But then you mentioned you have some free hours to work with.Since technically you are a college student, I'd go for it. I'd omit that current NOC position in the application though. It won't gain you anything salary-wise and it would likely cause your application to get screened out.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They are paid...and usually compared to other internships, contractors usually pay pretty decent. It’s likely to be competitive but it’s worth a shot...you have to get experience somehow.