Thoughts on a job with 24/7 shifts?

I have an interview lined up for same sorta role im in now with a few differences:
- 24/7 shift pattern. 12 hour shifts, 3 of which will be night shifts every 3 weeks. Currently in working mon-fri 9-5
- salary will be 150% uplift.
- daily commute will be 15 miles round trip compared to current 50miles.

The salary increase is enormous and will be life changing. The only aspect which is really putting me off is the shift pattern

Comments

• si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't mean to put you off here, but this is just my experience and i've mentioned this lots on the forum. I left university and worked as a security analyst on 24/7 shifts. My health went downhill rapidly. I was constantly tired. Even when I was off work, I was tired. I put on 2 stone in weight (28lb) in 10 months due to sitting down for extended periods of time and not eating good food at good times.

You have to ask yourself, is the 150% rise worth your health? Because I didn't meet a single person who was managing 12 hours on salads - it just aint happening. Everyone says: "I'll eat healthy, i'll be fine!" - then 2am comes and your body is shutting down, wanting to rest. But you're keeping it going against its will - and you need energy for that. So you begin eating. You're barely burning anything, so it turns to fat. Then you think: "i'll hit the gym on my day off" - but on your day off, you're too tired.

That was the cycle I was in for 10 months. If you truly think that you can manage the shifts, eat healthy and get at least 1-2 workouts a week, then maybe this is a good opportunity and you can get your 150% raise, and maybe in a year or two, move up the ladder and back to a 9-5. You just have to weigh up the pros and cons. But don't take an hour and make a decision - you need days if not weeks of thinking before you go for it.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What si20 said above 100%.

Fair counterpoint, though. If the job is a good increase in job responsibilities, duties, and learning opportunities, it maybe worth doing for 6-12 months anyway. You also have a great reason for quitting - graveyard shifts suck.
  • psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The pluses are pretty good. The things that can make a bigger difference are things that are not as tangible. Such as do you have small children? What opportunities might be available in the new job that are not in the old job, or visa-versa. What kind of effect would the non-standard shift have on your home life, wife, kids, friends, hobbies? As both Si20 and LeBroke said, you can always try it on a temp basis (don't tell your boss that) and see how it goes.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I have an interview lined up for same sorta role im in now with a few differences:
    - 24/7 shift pattern. 12 hour shifts, 3 of which will be night shifts every 3 weeks. Currently in working mon-fri 9-5

The salary increase is enormous and will be life changing. The only aspect which is really putting me off is the shift pattern

I work nights, and I didn't like it one bit. Currently, I'm working days and love it!!

I agree with others way the pros and cons.

Also, any decision you maske run it by your wife first.

May you could make a sheet + | - of working nights

Just a thought
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    I used to do 12 hour night shifts, it was fun at the beginning but I was tired all the time.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've done 8 and 10 hour graveyard shifts for a few months - absolutely hated it. Great team and enjoyed the work, but those hours were killer. I took a 15% paycut to go to dayshift.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with everything said here, just a big fat NOPE on working swing shift. That type of work is for coal miners, not a role in IT.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know how you guys do it. I had a job with 4 12 hour shifts during the day (6am - 6pm) and THAT was destroying me. I only did that for about 3 months until I couldn't stand it anymore.

No amount of pay is worth me feeling like garbage in return. You're only as well off as your health at the end of the day. Take care of yourself first, ALWAYS.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    it sucks.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked 2nd (4PM-12:30AM) for a year and a half. Every other weekend I had to work a complete overnight (8PM-8AM). The swing shift caused me to never get on a schedule. Obviously when I first started I was waking up in the morning and going to bed at night. However over time I slowly started staying up when I got home, I'm talking 4 to 5 AM. The consequence of this is I barely got anything accomplished around the house, didn't see friends very often. One upside is since I was working slow hours I got a lot of studying done which ultimately landed me a higher role.

In conclusion, when I had my night job it was temporary. If you decide to go with the new role for money, do not start spending your increase and lock yourself into that job. If you go to a night job it will not be just working at nights, your whole life will now be at night or you will suffer from the swings.

Try to sleep in one day and then stay up for what your night shift would be and see what it feels like.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's often the type of thing that people do in order to accomplish something. Like you said, the money is a big increase. What will you do with it? Are you paying down debt? Saving for a down-payment on a house? I'd say that any financial piece needs to have a defined goal, something you can easily watch get better. For others, it's the fact that they'll have more defined time to do other things, whether that's work on a degree or train for a triathlon.

Long rotating shifts WILL play havoc with your health if you let it. You should put in place both a schedule for staying active (gym or bike riding or running or whatever) as well as thinking through a meal-plan.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it isn't called the graveyard shift for nothing.

You go there to die, physically, mentally. Your career along with your dreams.

No need to fight the reaper if you don't need to.
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    it isn't called the graveyard shift for nothing.

You go there to die, physically, mentally. Your career along with your dreams.

No need to fight the reaper if you don't need to.

Ha ha ha ha, jeez....that made me laugh hard.

In all seriousness, don't mess with your body's natural cycle for sleep. Personally, I did some trials where I tried to sleep and wake up when my body naturally wants to - turns out I need about 9 hours of sleep. I try to time my sleep by this and find that I can wake up without the need for an alarm most days. If I break out of this cycle, things start going downhill. I'm tired, moody, can't concentrate, etc.

These types of schedules are crap and I avoid them. I had an offer once where the money was great, close to home, no traffic. I turned it down strictly because of the rotation shifts.

However, if you're early in your career, young, trying to get in the door, it may be worth a temporary sacrifice.

I'm too old for this with too many aches and pains to deal with that, boys.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm curious as to what's the difference between swing and graveyard shift for you guys. I worked swings in a NOC (15:00 - 23:30) and I loved it. 10% shift differential, being able to take care of things before work, and still able to go out after work. Staying up until 02:00 wasn't a problem for me at the time (I was 26 and went out a lot). It was when I went to graveyard (23:00 - 07:30) that I started to hate life. I had never called in sick from that job until I worked 3rd shift. I never got more than 3 hours of sleep and my social life was hurting.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I loved working the swing shift, harking back to working food service and retail when I was younger.

But I think it's only fun to do when you're younger and your friends are doing similar shifts, or you all go clubbing after work anyway.

Once you hit late 20s, everyone is doing the normal 9-5 and it's hard to see them if you work the swing shift. Great if you're an antisocial jerk, sucks if you like doing stuff with friends every day.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're not disciplined in your off time, it's terrible on your health. If you're well disciplined, it's merely bad for your health. I'd do it while younger (less than 30), but only for a few months to get ahead.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked graveyard shift years ago. 10pm-9am, four days a week. This was for a NOC. The hours didn't bother me, but I quit because there was nothing to do. The job was too boring.

I've also worked 5 days a week from 1pm-10pm. Ehhh it was decent at the time, but I wouldn't do it now unless I was desperate.

Some places let you work three 12 hour days, which gives you 4 days off a week. That's a nice gig. If the hours were consistently 7am-7pm Mon-Wed, and then on the third week, you had to work graveyard, it may not be as bad.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    It is sort of like that. So 2 days, 2 off, 3 days, 3 off, 2 days, 2 off, 3 nights, 4 off.

All 12 hour shifts. 8am-8pm and the nights 8pm-8am
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can't imagine doing that schedule long term. I think I would be a walking zombie.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think the schedule is that bad to be honest. I'd also much rather make more money and work 15 miles away, instead of 50 :)

If you'll be able to grow professionally, learn some new things, it might be worth it. If you're married, I'd suggest making sure your spouse supports the idea.

Find out how the turnover is in that company though. That will say a lot too
    Very very low turnover - its a govt department.

The main thing apart from money is going to be growth potential. I am doing a lot of senior jobs in my current role, but getting paid junior salary. Main reason for wanting to leave is that I want to do more senior jobs, but get paid for them!
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone already mentioned what I was thinking having done that at the start of my career. If the increase in pay is really 150%, it still may be worth it for the short term. But probably only if you can save the extra $$$ and exprience to move on to something else.

That's exactly what I did when I worked a NOC 12hr overnight shift job. Saved up just enough to pay off the car, keep some in the bank, and cover my CCNA exams. I only lasted 6 months at this gig lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on your decision. I know making a job change decision can be difficult. If you have family, esp young children, I think it would be really hard. You probably wouldn't see them as much as you would like. Your schedule would be so different then theirs. That IMHO is a huge negative.

If you do decide to take it, you might be able to move to another position within the company if that one doesn't work out.

You mentioned it was a government position. Does it require a clearance? If so, how does that affect your decision? Do you already have a clearance? Would this get you a clearance? Is there a time commitment if they get you a clearance?

Anyway just some things to think about. Let us know what you decide.

P.S. I am in the same situation. I was just offered a position that would include 24/7 shift work. I haven't decided if I"m going to take it either. :)
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My last job was 24/7 shifts and it was a nightmarish job. I'd always get sleepy during those third shifts and to pound a 5 hour energy. What are you going to do during mid night? The answer is take phone calls. There were many other negatives. Now I'm a little more conscious when a job says it's a 24/7 job as it raises red flags for me.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    *meh*

Personally, I think i'd rather work a DoD contract in iraq for 12 months,
    be confined to the base,
    work 60 hours weeks,
    but make $100k TAX Free.

Then come back home and look for something else.

but that's just me.
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When we hosted the Winter Olympics in 2010, I had a 4 month stint doing graveyard as they changed our office from a 9-5 to a 24/7 rotation. That was 4 months of hell, lucky it was just a short time... I would have hated it, I didn't do anything or learn anything in those 4 months. I love my current 4 day/3 off, doing 10 hour days and getting Tues/Wed/Thurs off to be with my kids once they're done their kindergarten & preschool. Working at home has its perks too!
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    Good luck on your decision. I know making a job change decision can be difficult. If you have family, esp young children, I think it would be really hard. You probably wouldn't see them as much as you would like. Your schedule would be so different then theirs. That IMHO is a huge negative.

If you do decide to take it, you might be able to move to another position within the company if that one doesn't work out.

You mentioned it was a government position. Does it require a clearance? If so, how does that affect your decision? Do you already have a clearance? Would this get you a clearance? Is there a time commitment if they get you a clearance?

Anyway just some things to think about. Let us know what you decide.

P.S. I am in the same situation. I was just offered a position that would include 24/7 shift work. I haven't decided if I"m going to take it either. :)

I already hold clearance so that isn't a factor, its more a case of the retirement pension - 5% of your annual salary paid annually for every year of service.

Due to the route I take dropping people off and picking up after work my current day is from 7:15am-6:30pm so I wouldn't really be adding much onto it.

Its just the 3 night shifts every 3 weeks that are the sticking point
  • Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□

If they let me nap (and clock out when I do, to be fair), this job would be perfect for me but sadly, there is not 1 iota of realism in today's world. Staying on topic, if everyone is joining the army these days, it stands to reason that they would gravitate to government jobs. Why shoot for anything above mediocrity, amIright?
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I already hold clearance so that isn't a factor, its more a case of the retirement pension - 5% of your annual salary paid annually for every year of service.

Due to the route I take dropping people off and picking up after work my current day is from 7:15am-6:30pm so I wouldn't really be adding much onto it.

Its just the 3 night shifts every 3 weeks that are the sticking point

I just realized I said government then company. Sorry to be confusing. I was thinking along the lines of a job with a government contractor. I guess because that's the situation I'm in. Good luck with your decision. If you take it let me know how you like it.
  • echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to say, to the OP, that these shifts are indeed tough and will affect your health.

Currently, I work a VERY similar shift. (12 hour nigh shifts, and 12 hour day shifts, with a few other 9-5s in there too).

As already mentioned by others, when it's 2 or 3am and your body is shutting down, you end up eating. Top it off with not being able to ever get a full nights' (days' really) sleep, and you put on weight fast. I've put on 15 lbs in 14 months with this type of life style. I am also having some other medical issues and seeing a doctor regularly about it, and I'm trying to turn my health around...but it's incredibly difficult. On days off I feel like a zombie, so it affects much more than how you feel on your current shift.

The worst immediate effect of these shifts is that switching between night and day is about the same as having a 12+ hour timezone change for your body and the extremely crappy jet lag you would feel. Google jet lag and health issues, it is just the tip of the iceberg.

When you are trying switch from nights to days, there will be nights when you can't sleep because now your body thinks you should be looking for that midnight coffee or 2am snack. I've worked my first 12hour day shift on 60 minutes of sleep because my body was still stuck in night shift mode. It really is a new kind of hell.

So, if this is a big pay increase, do it to short-term only to save the extra money. Don't do what I did and adjust your lifestyle to your new earnings just to find yourself stuck in a lifestyle that feels like it is accelerating your death.