Options

Getting new clients as a consultant

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
I currently work for a consulting company that has a pretty extensive client list. The company offers really nice incentives if I originate/bring in a client. While I do have a sales/marketing guy doing some work, I am wondering if any of you have been in this situation and have had success bringing in clients.

I've done some cold calling which produced a couple good leads. But again, am interested to hear of some other successful methods.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I work for a VAR/MSP/Consulting company. Let the sales guy do the cold calling, it is so depressing. What work for me as an IT architect / Senior Consultant is networking (not the IT style). You have to meet other people in other circle, it can be with a local user group, or other association. Propose to do a session at a conference. Show your expertise, sell yourself as a solution man, not a salesman, than customer will come to make business with you if they need your expertise. After the session, be available to answer every question, give them your business card, open your door and let them contact you. Last year, I did a session for a small local conference in front of 100 peoples, I got 4 new profitable customers in the first month after the session, then another 1 later in the year.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I currently work for a consulting company that has a pretty extensive client list. The company offers really nice incentives if I originate/bring in a client. While I do have a sales/marketing guy doing some work, I am wondering if any of you have been in this situation and have had success bringing in clients.

I've done some cold calling which produced a couple good leads. But again, am interested to hear of some other successful methods.

Thanks!

Hmmm I worked at a MSP once. they belong to several BNI groups.

BNI-works like this...each field has only one person from that field in that BNI group.

If you're a plumber, then you're the only plumber in that group. BNI members know someone that needs a plumber, then they refer you.

I went to this network event as well:

https://www.networkafterwork.com/

So network after work is an event where you pay enter the event. Every time I went it was close to 200-300 people. I never got a lead ,but I met alot really cool people.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    LinkedIn is probably the most efficient and least soul devouring way of doing this. Just poke around your area's job market and message them.