Options

Atlanta

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am thinking of moving to Atlanta, GA due to much lower COL then NYC. I was wondering what the salaries out there were like? I checked glassdoor and the avg salary for sysadmin was 69k sorta low. But according to the bureau of labor statistics the avg salary for sysadmin was 87,100. If someone from the Atlanta region can tell me which one is more accurate?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Checking job listings for the area will probably give you a more accurate idea of what people will pay. They have a lower cost of living than NYC, so of course the salaries are going to be a lot lower. "Sysadmin" is a super generic title that covers a bunch of people who do helpdesk and call themselves sysadmins all the way up to people doing devops, who also have the same title.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree, you'll need to use sites like Glassdoor and Indeed to research job listings and get an idea of the salary for the area. Also like Daniel said, sysadmin is far too vague of a term. You need to look at listings with the responsibilities that you are targeting.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me where the jobs are concentrated in Atlanta, I am trying to figure out where to live so my commute is no longer then 15-20 miles?
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the tech jobs are on the north side of town. Suburbs like Sandy Springs and Alpharetta have a high concentration of tech jobs.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving to Atlanta, GA due to much lower COL then NYC.
    Can anyone tell me where the jobs are concentrated in Atlanta, I am trying to figure out where to live so my commute is no longer then 15-20 miles?

Were you planning on moving without a job offer? If so, why Atlanta as opposed to other locations with a COL lower than NYC?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you should try to factor in other things besides COL.
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If there isn't any reason other than COL that goes into where you want to move factor, consider looking at states with no state income tax. As your knowledge and experience grows so will your wage. State income tax can take a nice bite out of your hard earned dollars.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Were you planning on moving without a job offer? If so, why Atlanta as opposed to other locations with a COL lower than NYC?

The tech market seems pretty good there, and houses are cheap, i considered Chicago but it seems more expensive. My main reason for moving from NYC is so I can actually afford a house, even if I earn 150k in NYC I won't be able to afford a house. I might stick it out in ny for a couple of years but I definitely plan on moving, so I am considering my options for now.
  • Options
    The tech market seems pretty good there, and houses are cheap, i considered Chicago but it seems more expensive. My main reason for moving from NYC is so I can actually afford a house, even if I earn 150k in NYC I won't be able to afford a house. I might stick it out in ny for a couple of years but I definitely plan on moving, so I am considering my options for now.

what's your income now? Do you support a family or are you alone?

most people cant afford to own a house in NYC, look out for NJ or LI or the boroughs. might be able to get something there?

there is another forum similiar to this at

City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more

There you will find more and better answers to your question regarding location and living style of life.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    what's your income now? Do you support a family or are you alone?

most people cant afford to own a house in NYC, look out for NJ or LI or the boroughs. might be able to get something there?

there is another forum similiar to this at

City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more

There you will find more and better answers to your question regarding location and living style of life.

By nyc I meant the outer boroughs as well, houses there go for 1 mil, unless you want some beaten up house or a house in a bad neighborhood. And the commute from NJ or LI would take 2 hrs minimum, so not really planning on wasting 4 hrs a day. Not many options here unless you rent in the boroughs.
  • Options
    By nyc I meant the outer boroughs as well, houses there go for 1 mil, unless you want some beaten up house or a house in a bad neighborhood. And the commute from NJ or LI would take 2 hrs minimum, so not really planning on wasting 4 hrs a day. Not many options here unless you rent in the boroughs.

have you looked into a starter home or apartment? A quick search at the boroughs yields some good co-ops. better than renting, you'd pay less than renting. you could use that as a stepping stone.
  • Options
    majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of moving to Atlanta as well , wondering how the job market is down there
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    @TheFORCE, you're really trying to talk this guy out of moving lol.

I did a ton of research on Atlanta as it was one of the options I was looking at moving to before we decided to stay in state and chose Tampa. ATL is the tech hub of the south and is similar to DFW in Texas in my opinion. There are tons of affordable subdivisions in the suburbs of ATL. We actually just started looking there again as downsizing to a 2000sq ft house was a bad idea, and we can get even nicer 3300sq ft homes up that way for the same price. I work remote so I wouldn't be switching jobs, but the job market there is just so much better than any place here in FL so if I ever decide to leave my current employer, I'd have tons of options. That isn't even taking into consideration how much there is to do up there for a family, they have all four seasons, the greenspace is much nicer, etc.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    majorpayne wrote: »
    I was thinking of moving to Atlanta as well , wondering how the job market is down there

There's plenty of IT jobs here in Atlanta. I got outsourced in March and and had a new job paying 10k more than my last job within 6 weeks. If you have the skills experience and credentials you can find a good job. The traffic here sucks though.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am thinking of moving to Atlanta, GA due to much lower COL then NYC. I was wondering what the salaries out there were like? I checked glassdoor and the avg salary for sysadmin was 69k sorta low. But according to the bureau of labor statistics the avg salary for sysadmin was 87,100. If someone from the Atlanta region can tell me which one is more accurate?
    DevOps = 100k + 50k in benefits w/ 3-5 years exp

I don't know about sys admin specifically.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The job market in atlanta is great, even more so in the area of IT. The jobs are in all sorts of industries such as finance and health. A good portion of the jobs area located in the North metro Atlanta region which I would include Roswell and Alpharetta. Many jobs are located in the area between midtown and Sandy Springs.

COL would be significantly cheaper than area on the coasts. Although, you will pay much more if you choose to live within the city area. The housing market generally follows the traditional market swings, however, there are PLENTY of apartments/townhomes/condos here. One thing to be caution of is the traffic. Atlanta traffic is notoriously bad and I would say that the traffic factor is underrated for Atlanta. I would say an average 10 mile commute during the weekday would take 45 mins - 60 mins.
  • Options
    LA2 wrote: »
    The job market in atlanta is great, even more so in the area of IT. The jobs are in all sorts of industries such as finance and health. A good portion of the jobs area located in the North metro Atlanta region which I would include Roswell and Alpharetta. Many jobs are located in the area between midtown and Sandy Springs.

COL would be significantly cheaper than area on the coasts. Although, you will pay much more if you choose to live within the city area. The housing market generally follows the traditional market swings, however, there are PLENTY of apartments/townhomes/condos here. One thing to be caution of is the traffic. Atlanta traffic is notoriously bad and I would say that the traffic factor is underrated for Atlanta. I would say an average 10 mile commute during the weekday would take 45 mins - 60 mins.

What are some areas that would be close to all the jobs?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I think you should try to factor in other things besides COL.

Traffic?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Driving in Atlanta every day would make me want to punch a baby kitten in the face.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Driving in Atlanta every day would make me want to punch a baby kitten in the face.

It's only really bad on the highways/freeways. Stick to the surface roads, and you'll have a longer commute, but a less frustrating one. Feel free to ask me anything you like about the area. I've been here for five years and have gone from contractor to temp to perm to perm employee through three great organizations.

There's a lot of opportunity to grow in this area!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is google maps an accurate indicator for travel times within the Perimeter?

I'm actually relocating end of this Feb.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    waze would be better..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....