Passed SANS401

KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
After I learned from the 301 exam, and I thought I prepared to take 401 exam after the training. This time, I prepared with index and tab, and extra materials for converting binary, IP and HEX. Again, I thought I did better on the exam, but the result wasn't as good as I expected. Other than the CEH exam, I am considering the 401 exam is the second longest IT exam that I ever took. First, don't panic. Five hours is more than enough time to answer all the questions.

The practice exam do help to prepare you for the exam. I will recommend to take the practice a week before the exam, then you got a week to review the materials. Take another practice exam few days before the exam and catch up anything that you might miss. There is no perfect way to weight the questions. It is either you know or look up the index. However, if you look up the index on every questions. Then you might run short on the time.

I believe that I wasn't well prepared for the exam, but I did better than 301. I will recommend anyone that take time to prepare and get to know the materials. Don't panic and organize your thought. Think logical and the study will help you to determine the best answer.

I am looking to take 504 next year : )
Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn

Comments

• irfan qureshiirfan qureshi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dear,

Many many congratulations for your remarkable achievement. Currently, I am preparing for SANS GSEC 401 and i m not sure about Labs and exam pattern. Would you please share labs details and pattern or if you have any web link then plz share ?

Regards,

Irfan
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Kasor wrote: »
    After I learned from the 301 exam, and I thought I prepared to take 401 exam after the training. This time, I prepared with index and tab, and extra materials for converting binary, IP and HEX. Again, I thought I did better on the exam, but the result wasn't as good as I expected. Other than the CEH exam, I am considering the 401 exam is the second longest IT exam that I ever took. First, don't panic. Five hours is more than enough time to answer all the questions.

The practice exam do help to prepare you for the exam. I will recommend to take the practice a week before the exam, then you got a week to review the materials. Take another practice exam few days before the exam and catch up anything that you might miss. There is no perfect way to weight the questions. It is either you know or look up the index. However, if you look up the index on every questions. Then you might run short on the time.

I believe that I wasn't well prepared for the exam, but I did better than 301. I will recommend anyone that take time to prepare and get to know the materials. Don't panic and organize your thought. Think logical and the study will help you to determine the best answer.

I am looking to take 504 next year : )

Congratulations on the achievement.

I did a GISF practice test maybe three weeks ago and got a 76%, that is without the course materials. I have a lot of e-books but I ordered the hard copy Security+ and Official CISSP Book. I think I could get a 90 if I would have used those books. I am sure I answered quite a bit of questions because it was just plain obvious. I will say that having experience helps significantly, although I am sure all the answers are in the Security+ and CISSP Book. More so the Security+ D. Gibson book. I am going to take the exam without the material in March. I figure if I can get a 76 on a practice exam with no course materials I will be ok. The cert isn't going to have you looking through job boards for 5 hours going through opportunities. But, I figure if I can get another cert that starts with G for less than 2k I will do it. I am going to start suggesting it after Security+. I would never suggest anyone on earth pay over 6K for the 301 course, exam,and materials. BUT, if you pay 150 for a practice exam and do well, I would definitely suggest paying 1600 or so to take the exam with no materials. I think it's worth it. That is just personal opinion.

For the record I thought GSLC was going to be a self study as well but I didn't do well without the materials on the practice exam. I started off doing good then things went kinda south for a minute and I never fully recovered. Not saying I did bad on the practice exam but I didn't do good. I guess I just have to have my company pay for the course thenicon_cool.gif

401.. Converting binary, IP, and HEX.....Hugh? Is that even covered in the 401 material? Give me a book number and page number please...

Over 200 people viewed this post and nobody said congratulations. Let's make TechExams Great Again!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This must’ve gotten buried with post-holiday influx of posts. Belated congrats to the OP. 504 is my favorite class so far so I am sure you will enjoy it.

To the other guy, what do you mean by labs details and exam pattern? And you are asking about links to what exactly?
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't say I recall seeing this post as well, Congratulations on passing your GSEC, 5 hours is one long exam.

As for the GISF, I question it's value. While a certification is better than no certification, even without taking the course, $1,700 for a certification with no employers hits on Indeed.com is not a good investment in my opinion, your better off getting a Security+, and work on challenging the GSEC instead.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I can't say I recall seeing this post as well, Congratulations on passing your GSEC, 5 hours is one long exam.

As for the GISF, I question it's value. While a certification is better than no certification, even without taking the course, $1,700 for a certification with no employers hits on Indeed.com is not a good investment in my opinion, your better off getting a Security+, and work on challenging the GSEC instead.

GREM only gives you 238 hits throughout all 50 states. It's a little better but not much in comparison throughout the United States of America. Neither one seems to be the cert companies are really looking for icon_rolleyes.gif