Options

Which SANS training will be helpful for OSCP

HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all.
1,5 year ago I took GCIH exam and passed it successfully with 87%.

Now, my employee is paying me for another cert, but issue here is that it denies paying for training/cert which is about offensive side. I know it sounds weird but that is an issue :) I wanted OSCP.

But because it denies to pay for offensive training I come across an idea to choose SANS course which will be helpful for OSCP and my penetration testing career in general.

So,question is that: "which SANS course should I take from where I'll get much benefit,that will be helpful for OSCP?"
P.S GPEN can't be chosen is not included(it's offensive)

My ideas is following:
1) SEC503: Intrusion Detection In-Depth
2) SEC505: Securing Windows and PowerShell Automation
3) SEC506: Securing Linux/Unix

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is this a joke?

505 or 506 would help you learn about security flaws and how to configure properly...maybe even the GCED course could have carry over. 503 isn’t really going to help for OSCP since it is about analyzing packets and not identifying vulnerabilities to exploit.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Apart from GPEN 560 , none of those...look into eLearnSecrity eCPPT, it might be the closest. If you want to do OSCP, just jump and do OSCP...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So you want suggestions on a defensive security course that will help with the offensive security course you want to do.

Maybe 506 if you're weak in Linux I guess... Kinda trying to fit a square into a circle hole here though. I'd personally go for a course that deals most closely to what your current job entails.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your ??employer?? doesn't know what they're talking about. Offense informs defense. How can you defend against attacks you don't know exist? How can you test to verify your security controls do what they're supposed to be doing if you don't know how to test them? It's a no brainer to include red with blue and blue with red. Crazy world we live in man.....