Options

eJPT/PTS course invites?

gphilipsgphilips Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

So I've just finished up the first semester of my M.S. in Cybersecurity, and starting to expand out beyond the baseline certs (Net+, Sec+, CASP, CEH) to compliment the knowledge gained in the academic realm.

I was looking at the eLearnSecurity PTS and PTP courses as part of a planned preparation for the OSCP, OSCE, and PTX.

I won't rehash any questions that I can find the answers to in the multitude of study/preparation guides (thank you to all who posted those, by the way, major help!).

However, I was wondering if anyone had a spare PTS course invitation laying around? I'd like to take a peek at their course style without committing the dollars up front, particularly as disposable income is taking a major hit with my long lost friend... tuition. Won't lie, the $100 off the Elite package isn't a bad incentive either.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't have any invites ATM, but chimed in to say that I found the most value in the eJPT coursework by far was in the labs and the companion videos to the labs. All that you get in an invite (at least a year ago when I last previewed one) are the slides.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba,

Thanks! I'm probably going to end up buying the course here in a few days.

Out of curiosity, did you do the Full or Elite package? Was the Elite worth the extra $100 for the infinity voucher and downloadable materials?
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did the full. At the time, this meant dealing with godawful flash instead of HTML. I survived.

No downloadable materials either. I took screenshots here and there but didn't really feel I missed out on having pdfs. I think this restriction actually gave me more of an incentive to internalize the material/take my own notes, so I wouldn't have to bother manually screen capturing dozens of slides. The PTP does look about 4x the content though and that might be worth consideration.

I see the PTP elite has the Ruby modules. I was pretty underwhelmed by the C++ and Python (2, not 3) modules in the PTS. Teaching a programming language and doing it really well is a totally different animal than teaching pentesting IMHO. If Ruby is along the same lines as was in the PTS, I'd pass.

The extra 60 hours of lab might be worthwhile. For $100 more I'd do it because of that alone. Not sure if I would for $200, like what it appears to be as of now on their site. I skimped and scrounged on lab hours during the PTS and this was mostly psychological worry that I'd run out early. I didn't, but I also didn't have enough hours left to go back and do everything a second time. I can be a slow learner for lab stuff.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Infinity voucher: Basically your exam voucher does not expire.

For now the Certificates do not expire.

Just note that your Lab expires in 2 years even if you have the Infinity voucher.
  • Options
    KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    Infinity voucher: Basically your exam voucher does not expire.For now the Certificates do not expire.Just note that your Lab expires in 2 years even if you have the Infinity voucher.
    Is it 2 years? I thought it was 1 year... I've been panicking for nothing
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Khohezion wrote: »
    Is it 2 years? I thought it was 1 year... I've been panicking for nothing
    Khohezion

It was two years for me "I had the elite package", you should check the members area it will show you the remaining time and lab expiry date.
  • Options
    ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two years for me as well, but I also thought that it expires after a year. Awesome, thanks!
  • Options
    All good info, thanks!