Options

Couple of techie questions

Kevin_cambs_ukKevin_cambs_uk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
How would you apply a security template you have created to 2000 computers without the use of GPO?

second question, on NTFS permissions, if you have write, you cannot delete? is that right, to if you have write on a folder you can create and modify existing files, but not delete the files or sub folders?

and whats the difference between that and file level ntfs?

cheers to all you reply

Kev

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    First of all be careful with posting questions from the exam, as you have agreed to an NDA.

For the NTFS, yes, that is correct. Write does not include Delete.
    What's the difference between what and "file level" NTFS?

For the computers, you could apply the template via local policy (logon script), or configure a scheduled task to call up a script that runs secedit and applies the template from a share...or other ways.
    It depends on the choices and how they want you to do it, usually they want you to do it with the least amount of administrative effort.

Though you cannot word the question any more specifically, though it would help, because it is imo already too specific as is.
    witty comment
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    second question, on NTFS permissions, if you have write, you cannot delete? is that right, to if you have write on a folder you can create and modify existing files, but not delete the files or sub folders?

and whats the difference between that and file level ntfs?

cheers to all you reply

Kev

Hi Kev -
    Are you asking what is the difference between share level permissions and security (NTFS - file level) permissions? If so, then the difference is that the NTFS level permissions, the file level as you call it, apply whether the user is accessing the file locally (on the same computer) or across the network via a client/server or other type of setup. The share level permissions only apply via network access and ave no effect if the user is accessing the file or share locally.

I hope that's what you were asking, my apologies if I misunderstood. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.